Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
richappy Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2008 10:39:30 AM(UTC)

I checked the two phase current of a MAH3000 motor and found it overheated at 3 amp due to bad tub bearings in the washer. The motor from that washer PN 6 2702230 is rated at 2.5 amp.
I checked the service manual for the MAH 5500 (manual # 16010061) and it rates the two phase motor current at 5 amp at the highest spin speed, so apparently the 3 amps I measured will not overheat the motor.
I am making a guess that "normal" frictional losses will make the "normal" current draw between 1 and two amps and the added bearing frictional loss will put it above 3 amps.
I thus have concluded that this washer has bearings that are starting to go bad and will get worse in time.
Apparently Maytag upgraded the motor to try and extend the operational period while bearings are going bad and prevent burnouts.
In this process, I have determined the bad bearing indication is a current draw over 3 amps in wash mode or high speed spin. This test is valid for the MAH2000 through MAV5500 washers. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
libertyappl Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2008 9:37:06 AM(UTC)

I'm not sure on te amp pull of one of these, but I'd bet the smell is coming from the mouse droppings after they get heated for a while.

Nat
richappy Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2008 9:13:25 AM(UTC)

Customer complained about overheating smell. I checked motor spin current with it loaded with clothes and it ramped up to 3 amps with no overheating of the motor.Wash mode current was under 3 amp. No sounds of laboring due to a motor missing one phase. Found a lot of mice dung inside, but no chewed wires.
Without a service manual it was hard to figure out what else might be going wrong. Figured the current draw was normal and the bearings where ok. Am I right?