Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
erubiera Posted: Friday, August 26, 2011 12:19:49 PM(UTC)

I know this is an old thread, but the problem persists among all of us not receiving proper customer care from GE. I am sorry to say that the instructions on the video you recommend do not work for this model Spacemaker microwave-convection oven. Like previous posters, my unit was made in 2001 and the tabs on both the choke cover and the ones holding the metal frame are narrow, and therefore weak. I have broken off all of the ones on the choke cover (this is the 3rd time I disassemble it) and I am fairly certain I would break the ones holding the metal shield if I tried prying it off like the video suggests (the video uses a more recent model with larger tabs).

Is there a way at all to replace the handle without destroying other parts in the process?

Has GE ever provided a retrofit that will remedy such a poor design? (As a former 20-year GE engineer I am embarrassed for them for this horrible design and terrible serviceability :(). There is no sense spending close to $90 in parts and going through all this trouble (plus putting up with an angry wife) for something that will surely fail again.
Gene Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 2:31:19 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Rpincus Go to Quoted Post
I am in agreement with Satish (quoted below). I cannot get past the second layer. I removed the screws but the panel is not coming off.

How do you get to the bottom screw of the door handle? Need diagram, video or instructions of some sort. Please advise or I will have to send back the handle for a full refund including s/h.

Thanks,
Rpincus

Very likely the whole door has to be removed from the microwave and the outer frame has to be removed after the inner panel had been removed. Or try to remove the door latch assembly.

GE does not publish any instructions. Try to use common sense.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for General Electric JVM1490BD003 Counter top microwave | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
Rpincus Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 4:06:41 AM(UTC)

I am in agreement with Satish (quoted below). I cannot get past the second layer. I removed the screws but the panel is not coming off.

How do you get to the bottom screw of the door handle? Need diagram, video or instructions of some sort. Please advise or I will have to send back the handle for a full refund including s/h.

Thanks,
Rpincus

Originally Posted by: satish Go to Quoted Post
Hi Gene,

I received the handle. I could remove the trim and could access the top screw. The bottom one is not visible. Looks like it is hidden underneath another layer, which looks like it is attached by screws. Do I take out the trim completely from the door? and unscrew the next layer? Do you have access to any diagrams? Please help!

Thanks,
Satish
satish Posted: Thursday, January 8, 2009 5:46:23 PM(UTC)

Hi Gene,

I received the handle. I could remove the trim and could access the top screw. The bottom one is not visible. Looks like it is hidden underneath another layer, which looks like it is attached by screws. Do I take out the trim completely from the door? and unscrew the next layer? Do you have access to any diagrams? Please help!

Thanks,
Satish
Gene Posted: Saturday, January 3, 2009 9:38:29 PM(UTC)

Keep us posted.

Gene.
satish Posted: Saturday, January 3, 2009 11:49:54 AM(UTC)

Hi Gene,

Thanks for the quick response! That helps! Shall try it out after the handle arrives.

Thanks again.
Gene Posted: Friday, January 2, 2009 4:02:47 PM(UTC)

Hi Satish,

Hopefully this video clip from one of our previous posts will help you.

Gene.
satish Posted: Thursday, January 1, 2009 6:35:14 PM(UTC)

Hi,

I have a broken door handle too. Same model.. JVM1490BD 003. Used Superglue which lasted a week.
I will be ordering the handle, however, I looked at the inner side of the door and am not sure how to replace handle. Could you please direct me to any drawings and instructions/video clips on changing the door handle. Just want to make sure I don't damage the door or cause leaks.

Thanks in advance,
Satish
Gene Posted: Saturday, November 8, 2008 4:29:45 PM(UTC)

You can buy the door handle for less than $30 and you do not have to replace the whole door. This part is not too difficult to replace yourself if you know how to handle a simple tools.

- The part number for the black door handle is AP3184331

Gene.
alcw64 Posted: Saturday, November 8, 2008 6:21:38 AM(UTC)

model jvm1490BD 003 serial HA 901139K

manufactured date is may 2001