Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
v2k04 Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2008 3:51:53 PM(UTC)

all the carbon deposits is what blew the mag up because it was arching and the antenna needs replaced If you sand that and you have to get it all you can repaint it if you cant the microwave is toast dont leave any grains of sand off the sandpaper either cuz it will arch. So paint it the it needs a mag and antenna but you are borderline on whether its any good or not
Planinka Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2008 10:15:09 AM(UTC)

After taking another look, I think he may have put the wrong mag in. It was not the same in appearance as the original (pictures shown below). After removing the mag the second time, I checked for arcs and holes inside the wave guide, no grease or carbon, but now is slightly burnt (mild brown) surface is smooth no holes just pin sized dots from the multiple arcs as shown in the picture below, and as a side note: the cover on the inside of the microwave covering the wave guide is bent/cracked but not broken. Have any advice on how and if I can still use this microwave? Thank you for your help; it is greatly appreciated. :)

7 layered original magnetron:
UserPostedImage

5 layered “replacement magnetron”:
UserPostedImage

I’m not quite sure if the layers have anything to do with the performance of the mag, I’m assuming it does

Picture inside waveguide after removing the mag:
UserPostedImage

Planinka
v2k04 Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 11:42:01 AM(UTC)

you're welcome
Planinka Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 10:50:47 AM(UTC)

Thank you for your help and patience in educating me on microwave terminology, parts, etc.
v2k04 Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 10:06:48 AM(UTC)

WEll The repairman that did it before doesn't offer any warranty on his repair? I would call Sears they are reputable enough.You know you can dispute with the repairman once he knows you know what you are talking about from what I told you. Stand right there have him remove the mag then look inside the hole where it mounted you will see whether it is arced or not The antenna is accesable from the inside it's up there behind the round plate in the ceiling if that is the style you have. A magnetron wont blowup like that from grease inside microwave the grease inside will just cook. But grease inside the waveguide definely will cause a mag to burnout like that, then on the otherhand those Goldstar mags were always blowing the end off Thats why it is also important that the mag he used hasn't been sitting on his shelf or riding in his truck for a long period of time. Because LG fixed the crappy mag problem
Planinka Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:27:33 AM(UTC)

Could you recommend a reliable appliance repair service out here in Mission Viejo, CA?
Planinka Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:25:30 AM(UTC)

So are you recommending we get someone out her to look at the antenna and waveguide?
Planinka Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:11:20 AM(UTC)

So, Nat, do you believe the microwave is beyond repair and if so, do you feel the repair company is at fault and should replace the microwave?
v2k04 Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:04:04 AM(UTC)

The waveguide is what the microwaves travel through and the antenna sturs them up I gaurantee if it wasn't arched before it is now. Like I mentioned in earler post if he used an old stock mag it may have been defective from the get go or What he says holds some truth to it.But inside may have been clean but there could of been grease in the waveguide and thats what caused it. Thats why it's important to look at the antenna and wave guide and see what kind of damage it suffered
Planinka Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:55:55 AM(UTC)

The repairman came and removed the newly installed magnetron. The cylindrical tip that faces the inside of the microwave was melted and burnt. He claims that the problem was grease on the inside of the microwave. My microwave is pristine, so I don't believe him. What does it mean that the mags were arcing? And what is the waveguard?