Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
sidfink43 Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 12:27:38 PM(UTC)

Well, buying a new dryer is the right decision, it seems like you were just the victims of very bad luck.

Good luck with your new machine and thanks for updating us.
canifixit Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 10:46:48 AM(UTC)

OK-We ended up calling a repairman. The heating element burned up and then got twisted around the drum. The total he gave for repairs was $365. :mad: There were several things we needed. He showed me the damage and I'm glad we called. There were parts all over the place. I don't think we could have fiqured it out. We have decided to buy a new dryer. Thanks for all your help.
sidfink43 Posted: Friday, April 24, 2009 4:10:50 PM(UTC)

I think it is obvious that the "ball and bearing assembly" that supports the drum in the rear came loose. In answer to your questions I would suggest the following.

1. Remove the front of the dryer and remove the drum. You already have the top off and I assume the belt has come off also. If the belt is still on, take off the back air intake panel and release the belt.

2. At this point you can determine the damage, at a minimum you will need a rear shaft kit,

Replacement parts for FRG GLEQ642AS0 | AppliancePartsPros.com

you can see exploded parts diagrams by clicking on your model number.

3. As far as your ability to repair it yourself, you will have to decide that when you look at the damage and the structure. This is a pretty nice machine and if there appears to be no other damage I would recommend you make the effort, and call on support from APP if you need help after you get the parts.

Good luck and please post what you decide and how it turns out.
canifixit Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 10:33:23 AM(UTC)

My dryer made this horrible clanking, like screws came loose and were being thrown around. It suddenly stopped and won't start. We took the top off and it looks like the entire drum came loose and is tilted forward. My husband and I tried to move it and it wouldn't budge. We decided not to do anything else because we didn't want to make it worse. What is my next step? What is wrong? Is this fixable or do I need a repair man? Thanks for any help.