Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
denman Posted: Friday, October 7, 2011 2:53:10 AM(UTC)

Glad to hear you are up and running.

Nothing wrong with getting spooked especially when dealing with 240 volts.
Better safe than sorry.

have a good one
denman
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
DianeM Posted: Friday, October 7, 2011 12:19:09 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Here is the install sheet from Whirlpool.
https://www.whirlpool.com/digita...ctions%20-%203397597.pdf

I thought I read several times that you should not attach the (original ground wire to the center post.
It depends how the terminal block and the unit's ground strap are wired.
If the ground strap is hard wired to the center connector of the terminal strip (it is connected to the back side of the strip and you cannot access it and is permanently connected to the center connector).

In a 3 wire hook up the line cord Neutral goes to the center and then the ground strap is connected to the unit's frame. So now both ground and Neutral are connected to the units frame.

In a 4 wire hook up the line cord Neutral goes to the center and ground strap end which was connected to the unit's frame also goes there. Basically all you are doing is connecting it to the front side as a way to store it, so it cannot short to the frame. It is now connected at the back and the front of the center terminal strip. The ground wire from your line cord now gets connected to the unit's frame where the ground strap used to be connected.

At least that is the way I think they are doing it.

Thanks Denman Got It. I am usually pretty confident but spent hours reading threads and spooked myself out. Running great!
denman Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:16:03 AM(UTC)

Here is the install sheet from Whirlpool.
https://www.whirlpool.com/digita...ctions%20-%203397597.pdf
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
I thought I read several times that you should not attach the (original ground wire to the center post.[/COLOR]
It depends how the terminal block and the unit's ground strap are wired.
If the ground strap is hard wired to the center connector of the terminal strip (it is connected to the back side of the strip and you cannot access it and is permanently connected to the center connector).

In a 3 wire hook up the line cord Neutral goes to the center and then the ground strap is connected to the unit's frame. So now both ground and Neutral are connected to the units frame.

In a 4 wire hook up the line cord Neutral goes to the center and ground strap end which was connected to the unit's frame also goes there. Basically all you are doing is connecting it to the front side as a way to store it, so it cannot short to the frame. It is now connected at the back and the front of the center terminal strip. The ground wire from your line cord now gets connected to the unit's frame where the ground strap used to be connected.

At least that is the way I think they are doing it.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
DianeM Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:48:03 AM(UTC)

I have looked at every thread regarding changing a 3 prong dryer power supply cord to a 4 prong. My dryer has an external grounding conductor screw that has a green wire attached by the factory not included in the 3 prong wire assembly.
Whirlpool instructs
Remove the 3 PRONG power supply cord
Place the 4 PRONG cord.
Remove the green ground wire attach to the center, neutral post
4 PRONG power supply cord. Attach the white. neutral wire to the center post over the green grounded wire.
Proceed with the red and black wires to the left and right.
Green ground wire included in the 4 prong cord attach to the grounding conductor screw.
I thought I read several times that you should not attach the (original ground wire to the center post.
I want to run my dryer PLEASE HELP