Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sorfdude  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 10:31:41 PM(UTC)
Sorfdude

Groups: Registered

The bake element in my 6 year old oven went out with a buzz and a pop so I ordered a new element from this site. I put the new element in and it won't heat. There is not, and never has been, a trouble code shown on the control panel. The other elements (outer broil, inner broil, and convection) are all working fine, as are the control panel and cooktop. I checked the 20A in-line fuse and I have connectivity through it (good). I used the End of Service Test Sequence (ESTS) to isolate the bake element and then check the power status using a meter. There is 120V (to N) at each lead when isolated in the ESTS (and 0V when not), this also holds true in standard baking mode. The housing for the bake element has connectivity to the oven chassis.
I am assuming the new element is good so where should I look next? Could the circuit board with the relays be an issue and if so how would I test that? Should I get an ammeter and look for amperage at the element? I am at my wits end with this, I hope someone can help me. :confused:
Thanks in advance! - Jon
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 29, 2010 1:55:41 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL KESC308LSS0 30" Slide - in Range Designer Style Convection Oven | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is the tech sheet
http://www.servicematters.com/docs/wiring/Tech%20Sheet%20-%209754365.pdf

[COLOR="Blue"]I used the End of Service Test Sequence (ESTS) to isolate the bake element and then check the power status using a meter. There is 120V (to N) at each lead when isolated in the ESTS (and 0V when not), this also holds true in standard baking mode.[/COLOR]
Referencing to Neutral does not really tell you much because you cannot tell if you are measuring L1 or L2.
Referring to the wiring diagram ans assuming you do not have a DLB relay. If you use Neutral/chassis for one meter lead you will measure 120 volts on the right hand side of the bake element all the time since it is hard wired to L2.
You will also see the L2 120 volts all the time on the left hand side of the element (if it is good) when it is off even though it is not passing current.
Then when you measure it with the element on (assuming the boards bake relay is OK), you still see 120 volts but this time it is from L1
[COLOR="Blue"]
The housing for the bake element has connectivity to the oven chassis.[/COLOR]
Not sure what this means.
The element should have infinite ohms (open) when measured to Neutral/chassis. It rune off the 240 volts so is isolated from chassis.

[COLOR="Blue"]I am assuming the new element is good so where should I look next?[/COLOR]
Check the element using ohms just to be sure it is OK. Not sure what it should be usually 10 to 20 ohms.

[COLOR="Blue"]Could the circuit board with the relays be an issue and if so how would I test that?[/COLOR]
This would be at the top of my list.
Measure the voltage from P7 to P2 you should see 240 volts with the element off.
Then use the diagnostics to turn it on you should see 0 volts (voltage now dropped across the element instead of across the open relay contacts. If not the bake relay contacts are not closing for some reason or they are toast.
OR
You could disconnect the P2 side of the bake element.
Use Neutral/chassis for one meter lead, P2 for the other
With element/control off you should see 0 volts.
Turn it on using the diagnostics, you should see 120 volts re: the relay switches in L1 voltage.

[COLOR="Blue"]Should I get an ammeter and look for amperage at the element?[/COLOR]
I would not. I do not think this will tell you anything. The element does not heat up so you already know that it has no current.

I hope the above makes sense!!
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Sorfdude  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 29, 2010 8:52:29 AM(UTC)
Sorfdude

Groups: Registered

Thanks Denman that helps tremendously!

Here are my findings...

Measure the voltage from P7 to P2 you should see 240 volts with the element off.
I am only seeing 120V between P7 and P2 when off.

Then use the diagnostics to turn it on you should see 0 volts (voltage now dropped across the element instead of across the open relay contacts. If not the bake relay contacts are not closing for some reason or they are toast.
I am seeing 240V between P7 and P2 when on. :(

OR
You could disconnect the P2 side of the bake element.
Use Neutral/chassis for one meter lead, P2 for the other
With element/control off you should see 0 volts.

I am seeing 0V.

Turn it on using the diagnostics, you should see 120 volts re: the relay switches in L1 voltage.
I am seeing 37V :confused:

So I am assuming from these readings that the relay has failed for the bake element and I need to replace the relay circuit board - sound logical to you?

Thanks Again!
-Jon
denman  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 29, 2010 12:58:21 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Yes, it sounds logical to me.

Since you have done troubleshooting if you order the board from AppliancePartsPros and it donot fix the problem you can return it.
Most other places once you use the board it is yours.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply