Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MikeB62  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2010 10:04:26 AM(UTC)
MikeB62

Groups: Registered

We have a Whirlpool Built-in Electric Oven that is having intermitent problems. It is a double oven, model #RBD305PDQ14.

The desplay & touch pad intermitantly goes blank. One minute its working & showing the time, the next it beeps & goes blank. Sometime after about 24 or 48 hours, it beeps & works just fine again. When it is on, we have no problems with it getting hot, keeping temp, & even the timer works fine.

Sometimes when it comes back on, it shows the following codes: E6 and/or F2. When it does come back on with those codes, we hit "Oven Off" and all is back to normal.

Just an FYI, we think before this happened that the hosue took a power surge or brown-out as we have had a electric power strip (surge protector) blown, a computer's battery back-up APC blown, and problems with our garage door opener. This has certainly not been our year for electronic items.

FYI, I checked the Whirlpool website & my oven is not one of the Recalled ovens.

Can anyone provide some help / insight? Thanks Mike
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2010 12:36:46 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Mike,

Open the control panel and check the suppressor (electronic filter) and the transformer (#22 & #5 on the diagram). These parts can be damaged due to the power surge.

The control board (microcomputer) has to be replaced in any way.

Here is the Tech sheet.

- The control board Part number: AP3595759
MikeB62  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:43:39 AM(UTC)
MikeB62

Gene,

Thanks for replying, this has been a big help. I had a service call on this and the technician came up with the same (control board & touch pad). Is this all that hard to do. After your reply, I opened up the oven control panel area, and it looks pretty simple. I made sure all of the connections were secure & inspected for any possible weak areas / burn spots. All looked in order. (just an FYI, I did cut power prior to doing this). Again looks simple, all of the wires clip in & clip out from the board, even the touch pad. Is there anything special that needs to be done, because from the looks of this, I have done a lot harder repairs in my life. I just worry about electronic items like this not working after I have purchased $300 in components.

Let me know your thoughts again. Thanks Mike
Gene  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 1:56:22 PM(UTC)
Gene

Mike,

Which parts have you already purchased?

I would not rush with the touch pad (control panel) and replace the control board first. Any of the parts in the control compartment are not too difficult to replace yourself.

Gene.
MikeB62  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 2:05:32 PM(UTC)
MikeB62

Gene,

Thanks for your quick response. I have not bought a thing yet. Just had a service call from a place here in Kansas City. The estimate to fix was $608, which included a new board, a new touch pad, and the labor to install.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 2:09:48 PM(UTC)
Gene

Mike,

You can order the control board from Appliance Parts Pros by clicking on the part number or picture in the previous reply for only $167.35 and easy replace it yourself.

Gene.
MikeB62  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 22, 2010 12:52:00 PM(UTC)
MikeB62

Gene,

Replaced the control board & transformer, now getting error messages regarding keypad & latch. I took out the latch looked it over, but could not find any problems. FYI, now the latch is stuck in the closed position. Looks like I need to order the touch pad now & the latch mechanisim. Any suggestions. Also, when inserting the flat connections (flat ribbon type of wire) for the touch pad, is their any special thing that help it contact each of the little points. I put it in, but it seems like a very finicky type of connection. In my mind a regular pin connector would have been more reliable. Let me know. Thanks Mike
Gene  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 23, 2010 8:02:04 PM(UTC)
Gene

Mike,

What is the error code?

The ribbon cable connector at the control board has a small springs inside to provide good connection and it has kind of locking mechanism on top to lock the ribbon cable in place.

I do not think there is something wrong with the door latch. Most likely there is something wrong with the electrical connections and/or door latch switches.

Gene.
MikeB62  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:55:58 AM(UTC)
MikeB62

Gene,

Got it all fixed last night. Replaced the Touchpad & the latch mechanism. Now it appears all is working fine. Thanks for your help. Overall I saved probalby around $200 doing it myself. Thanks Again. Mike
Gene  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 26, 2010 3:16:37 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome Mike. I'm glad you were able to fix it and save some $$$. That's why we all are here.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply