Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
alex1850  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:08:08 PM(UTC)
alex1850

Groups: Registered

Please help. My baking element broke in half last week. I ordered a replacement from you today. But when I turned on the broiler element tonite for heating up something, as soon as I turned it on, a big pop came from the back side of the oven. Now nothing at all works. I trip my breakers in my house fuse box. Did I blow a fuse in the stove itself or what? Nothing works and I can't reset the breaker. What did I do? What should I do? Is there a fuse, or ignitor, or spark plug or what? Please help. Thanks, Kurt
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2010 3:26:28 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Sounds like you have a dead short in the unit.

Unplug the unit and try to reset the breaker.
If it now resets then there is a dead short in t.he unit.
You will have to open the unit up and find it.

If the breaker does not reset then you may have a short in the wiring or the breaker is toast.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
alex1850  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2010 6:07:48 AM(UTC)
alex1850

Originally Posted by: alex1850 Go to Quoted Post
Please help. My baking element broke in half last week. I ordered a replacement from you today. But when I turned on the broiler element tonite for heating up something, as soon as I turned it on, a big pop came from the back side of the oven. Now nothing at all works. I trip my breakers in my house fuse box. Did I blow a fuse in the stove itself or what? Nothing works and I can't reset the breaker. What did I do? What should I do? Is there a fuse, or ignitor, or spark plug or what? Please help. Thanks, Kurt

Denman, Thank you for helping me. I'm taking the back off now. Where the ground cord is connected to the 'terminal block', is black marked. That was where the spark came off. I inspected it and I don't 'see' any damage to it. Right now I'm putting in my new baking element part. So should it be safe if I simply reset my circuit breaker, plug it back in and retry? Please stick with me as I am trying to get this done today. THANK YOU.
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2010 7:08:45 AM(UTC)
denman

I would unplug it and undo the ground wire from the terminal block.
Inspect it carefully to be sure it is clean/not pitted or corroded.
You need very good connections hear.
A poor connection will be a resistance, as currect passes through it it will heat up causing more resistance and heat till fibaly the connection overheats and fails.

Do you have a meter?
alex1850  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2010 8:50:58 AM(UTC)
alex1850

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
A poor connection will be a resistance, as currect passes through it it will heat up causing more resistance and heat till fibaly the connection overheats and fails.

Do you have a meter?

No I don't have a meter, I'm new at this. I'm your average handyman. I inspected the wire and screw, all looks good. The baking element is installed now. So now I'm ready to plug it in and try again. I will wait till I hear back from you first or later this afternoon whichever comes first.
alex1850  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2010 9:35:49 AM(UTC)
alex1850

Originally Posted by: alex1850 Go to Quoted Post
No I don't have a meter, I'm new at this. I'm your average handyman. I inspected the wire and screw, all looks good. The baking element is installed now. So now I'm ready to plug it in and try again. I will wait till I hear back from you first or later this afternoon whichever comes first.

Never mind, I went ahead and plugged it in and all is perfect now. But THANK YOU VERY MUCH for helping me. I love this site and will use this site next time. This site is a great site and will pass the word.
Kurt
alex1850  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:45:14 PM(UTC)
alex1850

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post

Do you have a meter?

Denman; Hey I got the baking element installed and everything working now. Except I have one problem. When I turn the oven on, it goes on full blast. I can't control it. Can't turn down or up the oven. But the broiler and everything else works fine. Do I need a new thermostat? If I do, jezz ol' man...$298. Can you help me what my problem might be?
denman  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2010 5:42:55 PM(UTC)
denman

Here is a better copy of the wiring diagram.
http://manuals.frigidaire.com/prodinfo_pdf/Lassomption/318045303.pdf

Does sound like the thermostat (the bake contacts welded together).
I do not think I would put $298 into an old unit unless it is in pristine shape.

You could unplug the unit, disconnect the bake element at the thermostat, tape up the connection on the wire so it cannot short to anything and then give it a try. If the element does not come on then it is probably the thermostat.

Another way would be to unplug the unit, set the thermostat to lets say 300 and then remove it from the unit. Then you could put the probe end into another oven, heat it up and see if the contacts open using a meter.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply