Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jstarzy  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 19, 2008 1:08:41 PM(UTC)
jstarzy

Groups: Registered

I took this range apart yesterday after one xlo burner would not ignite. It appeared the selenoid was not activating. I was in the process of swapping the pot wiring at the simmer control board when the pot #2 wire accidentally hit ground. This caused a spark at the pot and now xlo burner 1 and 2 are both dead with no gas or spark.

I see there is a rebuild kit that includes 2 pots and a new controller. AP3572616. Should this fix the problem and why does the item text recommend a factory service tech for this?

Just to make sure, I measured low and high voltges at the simmer board to make certain I did not nlow out something upstream. All fine.

I'm up for buying the kit if it will fix the problem. Just want to make sure I didn't cook anything else when that #2 pot wire hit ground and fried!

Thanks...hoping Gene the Thermador expert may lend some advice.
Much appreciated..Jim S.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:09:58 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Jim,

I believe this kit should solve the problem. You can check the gas solenoid by measuring it's coil resistance. It suppose to be 1760 Ohms ± 20%. If the reading is different, the solenoid is defective.

DO NOT FORGET TO REMOVE POWER FIRST.

- The part number for the solenoid is AP2828839

- The part number for the potentiometer kit is AP3872616

Here are the break down diagrams for the Thermador range Model RDSS30 S/N 9707 & UP

Gene.
jstarzy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:38:08 PM(UTC)
jstarzy

Yes...silly me....I didn't pull the plug first!

I would have swapped at the selenoids but I did not spend anytime getting access from below....and decided to go the swapped pot route instead to see if the problem swapped. Oh well....poof it went.

I am, however, curious why spark quit at the #1 and #2 burners, though when I firied only #2. Spark was happening at #1 before I fried #2.

Not anymore...BUT...if the kit will fix the issue that's great and it looks like that's the only way I can get the pots now anyway. What would be a pain is if it was the selonoid all along and I have to replace that too after the kit..but so be it!

Thanks Gene....Jim.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:50:05 PM(UTC)
Gene

Jim,

The potentiometer's problem is much more common than the solenoids.

Keep us posted.

Gene.
KevinR  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 8, 2008 6:42:15 PM(UTC)
KevinR

I put in the replacement pack into my range. I found it relatively easy to do.
jstarzy  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2008 5:55:07 AM(UTC)
jstarzy

Hi Gene and all....after much delay and receipt of the upgrade kit to the simmer burners for the Thermador, I powered down the range and replaced the pots and the control unit one by one. Disassembly and assembly where straight forward and the pot and control unit replacement was lengthy (wires one by one on the CU) but not difficult. After re-assembly, maybe an hour later, (I went slow to make sure it was ok) I powered up the breaker and everything was like new again...all burners working including the 2 simmers with the delay feature.

Thanks very much for the help and insight...Jim.
Gene  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2008 8:25:30 AM(UTC)
Gene

We're glad you were able to fix it.

Gene.
tuckermtn  
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 11, 2008 5:34:38 PM(UTC)
tuckermtn

complete newbie here...we have an 8 yr old thermador duel fuel RDDS30VQB- propane- that just had the two left burners (the ones that can cycle on/off for simmer) quit on us- there seems to be no "resistance" when you turn the knobs- no propane, no spark- nothing. Seem to show up after we had a large maple syrup pan on the stove for a few hours at relatively high heat...

Seen some mention of the pententiometer kit...and the ignitor...any other suggestion?

seems like Gene is the guru on here...

any help appreciated...
Servicer  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 9:58:26 AM(UTC)
Servicer

Groups: Senior Expert

It could be a bad simmer control, but I've seen situations where the voltage going to the simmer control from the potentiometers has dropped to around 100vac or less. When the voltage is this low both exlo burners will quit with no spark or gas. The way to check this is to remove the wires on POT1, POT2 and Line-5V. Measuring from the wire to chassis(ground) you should have ~120vac. If you find an extremely low voltage you can trace the wire back to the potentiometer and check the connection. POT1 goes to the front and POT2 goes to the rear. Line-5v goes to both.
If you find a good 120vac from all the wires to chassis then install the kit, Thermador part number 497235.
KC
tuckermtn  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:28:02 PM(UTC)
tuckermtn

thanks for the reply...I'll get the volt meter out and give er a shot...

thanks

-Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply