Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kirkholley@cox.net  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:40:54 PM(UTC)
kirkholley@cox.net

Groups: Registered

Tenants spilled cooking oil in front burner. Evidently it seeped into and soaked a portion of the oven insulation between the burners and the oven box. When the oven was turned on the oil smoked (didn't catch fire fortunately) and blackened a portion of the insulation. Can I just cut out the damaged insulation and put an 'insulation patch' in to replace it? Is the insulation anything special or could I get some generic roll product? The insulation part number appears to be #AP3772167 and it costs about $100. The damaged area is about the size of dinner plate. Thanks

Kirk
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:39:55 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

Kirk,
I would recommend NOT trying a generic insulation as most is not made for that type of applications.

I understand not wanting to spend that much, but at least go to you local recycle center or somehwere that may have some used stoves and see if they have an old range to get the insulation out of. If you were around here I probably have one around the shop somewhere.

Nat
kirkholley@cox.net  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:34:22 PM(UTC)
kirkholley@cox.net

Nat - Thanks for the quick and specific response. I understand that the insulation is specially designed for this application. I was wondering if I got the right type of insulation could I "patch" the existing or would I need to replace the entire blanket which appears to wrap around all three sides of the oven box. I think you are suggesting that it could be patched with the right product. Thank you

Originally Posted by: libertyappl Go to Quoted Post
Kirk,
I would recommend NOT trying a generic insulation as most is not made for that type of applications.

I understand not wanting to spend that much, but at least go to you local recycle center or somehwere that may have some used stoves and see if they have an old range to get the insulation out of. If you were around here I probably have one around the shop somewhere.

Nat
Jesse S.  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 14, 2011 6:45:06 AM(UTC)
Jesse S.

I just read these posts. I had the same thing happen to me: oil spilled into the burner and the next time I turned on my gas oven, it smoked horribly. I looked under the hood and the insulation is charred. I think I'm going to get someone to replace it but my bigger issue is that it's been 4 days since the smoke came out and our kitchen still smells terrible (like a sicklier version of burned charcoal). We can't get rid of the smell. It can't be lingering smoke (we've had our windows open and a fan on the whole time) so I'm hoping it'll go away once we replace the insulation. Any thoughts? Also, is it dangerous to be breathing it in?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply