Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Carol R  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:37:04 PM(UTC)
Carol R

Groups: Registered

I have replaced the Membrane switch panel twice on this range because of an F-1 signal on the touch pad screen. Both times it seemed to be related to my using the self-cleaning process. This time the whole screen is just black, with no display. The oven, clock, etc are not working at all. The cooktop is working just fine. I think that perhaps the ERC control module needs replacing, and maybe the membrane switch panel also. What do you think?
Thank you for any help you can give me.
Carol
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:47:52 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

Originally Posted by: Carol R Go to Quoted Post
I have replaced the Membrane switch panel twice on this range because of an F-1 signal on the touch pad screen. Both times it seemed to be related to my using the self-cleaning process. This time the whole screen is just black, with no display. The oven, clock, etc are not working at all. The cooktop is working just fine. I think that perhaps the ERC control module needs replacing, and maybe the membrane switch panel also. What do you think?
Thank you for any help you can give me.
Carol

The self clean does more damage that it's worth in my opinion. I always suggest people not use it unless they have too! But you probably do need the ERC at least and maybe the membrane.

Nat
Carol R  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:56:02 PM(UTC)
Carol R

Your help was right on! We ordered the 2 parts, installed them, and the oven is working perfectly.
Thank you again for your help!
Carol
AlanD  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:57:20 AM(UTC)
AlanD

FYI -- one should expect the membrane/panel problems, e.g. F1 errors believed linked to operation of the self-cleaning oven feature, to continue despite replacement of the 'burnt out' parts. We have repeated had the panel replaced every 18-24 months (... one time that the extended warranty paid off).

A break in the solder connection that controls the the self-cleaning lock-out mechanism was the last straw -- we are looking for a range replacement!
drtrotter74  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2012 5:23:57 AM(UTC)
drtrotter74

The control panel has a design problem, and it gets dirty and worn over time. I have replaced mine once, and it happened again less than 2 years later. I took the panel out, and inspected it. I found a web solution that said to shim the panel out away from the housing slightly because it rubs on the metal housing around it and damages the control board contacts. I could see little scratch marks on the plastic skin around the edge of the button area, so that made sense. I tried it, and it still did not work.....panel was still beeping. Mine seemed to be the timer control buttons that were going on and off. So, I took it out again, and actually peeled the control surface off of the control board. No going back now, I thought. I got it off and looked at the control panel. It looked fine, but there was a lot of gunk and wear marks around the edge of the plastic button area. I cleaned it up with alcohol swabs, and put the cover back on the board. It was still sticky enough to go back on. I reinstalled it, and "bingo" no more problem. It has been fine for 3 months now. Yahooo!
drtrotter74  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2012 5:27:31 AM(UTC)
drtrotter74

I posted a solution to this thread. Not sure if it will fix your problem, but it sounds similar. I have been looking on the internet for solutions for this over the past two years. Also replaced my control pad once, and the new one was only 2 years old. My theory is the the heat of the oven eventually causes the stickum goo that the control membrane it mounted with to causse contact problems underneath with the metal parts of the control board. I peeled the membrane off of the control panel, and cleaned it with alcohol. Then stuck it back together and remounted it. SO far so good.

Originally Posted by: AlanD Go to Quoted Post
FYI -- one should expect the membrane/panel problems, e.g. F1 errors believed linked to operation of the self-cleaning oven feature, to continue despite replacement of the 'burnt out' parts. We have repeated had the panel replaced every 18-24 months (... one time that the extended warranty paid off).

A break in the solder connection that controls the the self-cleaning lock-out mechanism was the last straw -- we are looking for a range replacement!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply