Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
carolinekrueger  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:10:13 PM(UTC)
carolinekrueger

Groups: Registered

UserPostedImage Same problem but what about the wiring harness
I had the same thing as many others on here happened...6 weeks ago I had to replace the control board on my 4 year old double whirlpool oven. Now, during self cleaning it completely shut down. Called Mr. repairman again, he came out today nad said it's now the thermal fuse, but we are supposed to replace the entire wiring harness when that happens. Is that true? It's apparently a price difference of $100 for thermal fuse or 350 for wiring harness. can I just do the thermal fuse?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2010 10:26:10 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Quote:

...Now, during self cleaning it completely shut down...

Can you be more specific on that?

Gene.
carolinekrueger  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2010 3:03:16 AM(UTC)
carolinekrueger

Groups: Registered

The screen went completely blank and turned off. Top oven remained stuck in the locked postion...bottom oven was unlocked, but obviously wouln't work since the entire control panel was blank. It literally wouldn't do anything.
The repairman came out and removed the fuse entirely and it is working again now, but they told me that in order to be safe I had to replace the fuse, which if done properly would mean replacing the entire wiring harness. Just to replace the fuse would be about $100 (plus the $54 service charge). The wirirng harness repair would cost about $350 (plus $54 service call charge). I just don't have that kind of money right now. Not to mention I just gave these guys $350 for the control panel repair 6 weeks ago. Is this problem related to the origianl problem at all and is the wiring harness really supposed to be replaced?
Thanks so much!
Gene  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2010 12:35:30 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Quote:

...1). told me that in order to be safe I had to replace the fuse,

2). which if done properly would mean replacing the entire wiring harness...

The first point is absolutely correct while the second is not. The fuse must be replaced, but not the whole harness.

If thermal fuse has a hook on one end and a flat terminal on the other use Part number: AP3777386
Part number: AP3777386

If thermal fuse has flat terminal on each end, use Part number: AP3110028
Part number: AP3110028

This fuse is not too difficult to replace yourself. Place the new fuse away from the oven’s exhaust vent so that there is more ambient air around it.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply