Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ramblinche81  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 31, 2009 9:43:13 AM(UTC)
ramblinche81

Groups: Registered

I need help with Maytag Double Oven MEW6630DDS which Maytag service wants $300 for controller and $600 labor to install.

Upper oven (convection capable) appears to go nuclear during normal cooking (bake, warm, or convection bake) with temps exceeding 500 and heat element surrounding convection blower glowing bright red. I was told this indicates unit is in self clean mode. I used a manual oven thermometer to check temps and it blows past 500 before I shut down. Control panel display does NOT indicate over temp condition.

Based on suggestion from another thread, I checked temp probe resistance and it was normal (1300 Ohm if I recall). I can recheck.

1) Is there a way to use multi meter and check existing controller circuit board and verify before spending $250 on part ? Lower oven still works so I hesitate to run upper unit unless absolutely needed to troubleshoot.

2) I am out of work and don't want to spend $600 on labor. I will do it myself if I can access control panel without completely removing full double unit from wall. Can the controller board be replaced without removing the entire upper/lower cook boxes ? Any special info before I start to dismantle ?

3) what would be a normal labor charge for installing the circuit board ?

I am comfortable with appliance repairs previously working on washer, dryer, dishwasher and icemaker dispensers etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice and insight.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

brettmuscat  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2010 5:10:54 PM(UTC)
brettmuscat

if it is the main board there was a recall on those and they will fix it for free
ramblinche81  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2010 12:07:22 PM(UTC)
ramblinche81

That is certainly good news....my previous discussions with Maytag/Whirlpool they never acknowledged a recall was in effect. This has been ongoing for two years as I refused to pay $800 to have it fixed. I contacted them again this past November to no avail.

Thanks for the tip, I will try again.
jimbofixit  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:40:33 AM(UTC)
jimbofixit

Did replacing the control fix your problem? Was it difficult to do?
ramblinche81  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 3:24:39 PM(UTC)
ramblinche81

Have not attempted to replace yet. I am unemployed and hesitate to spend the $300 on the part until I am working.
ramblinche81  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 3:25:56 PM(UTC)
ramblinche81

Brettmuscat...I contacted Maytag and they claim there is no recall on double oven controllers....I am on my own.
denman  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 4:26:14 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
ramblinche81

Here is the parts breakdown includes a wiring diagram.
Replacement parts for MAYTAG MEW6630DDS Walloven - S/c Dbl Oven Ele | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is the service manual
http://www.servicematters.com/maytag_library/docs/056313.pdf

Looks like the control panel is about $220.00.

It does not look like it is that hard to replace on this unit, if the manual is correct. The manual does not specify your model but that is what pops up when I use your model number.

Does sound like a relay on the control board is shot (contacts welded together)

You could try heating the sensor up some to see if its resistance changes.
http://www.applianceaid.com/elecrange.html
See 7, 8, 20 and 21.

Since you have done some troubleshooting AppliancePartsPros will let you return the part if it does not fix your problem. See their return policey.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
jimbofixit  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 4:40:14 PM(UTC)
jimbofixit

Thanks for the info and I hope you find work soon.
rbaratt  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 1, 2011 6:59:03 AM(UTC)
rbaratt

I realize this is an old thread, but I have the same issue with my Maytag oven, and it also goes nuclear and shoots up over 500 degrees. It seems to be an intermittent problem with only the top oven, and the display goes blank with only a "bake" light flashing. Seems to me to be a dangerous fire hazard as the food in the oven is scorched to the point of ignition. I never cook on this unit without staying in the kitchen through the entire process. I am sure that Maytag is aware of the problem since I do not believe that any manufacturing operation does anything once...there are probably hundreds of defective units with the same issue. I have not contacted them...but I plan to voice my concerns. Would like to hear more from anyone who has the same issue with the double wall oven. my model is MEW6630dds. Thanks for listening!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply