Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bob338  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 23, 2008 5:02:19 AM(UTC)
Bob338

Groups: Registered

I've just replaced the grill igniter for the second time. Seems unusual in a 7 year old cooktop. In looking at the wiring diagram and reading instructions for the operation of the appliance, it seems to me something else is wrong. The valve to actuate the grill has two positions, "Lite" and the "Hi" to "Low" setting. Instructions say to turn to "Lite" and when it lights up to set the temp desired. There is a perceptible stop between the "Lite" and the temp settings. The wiring diagram indicates a switch between a safety valve and the igniter which would appear to indicate that after lighting the igniter should turn off. It doesn't regardless of valve setting. The new igniter I just installed is extremely bright and stays on throughout the grilling process. I think that's what is wasting the igniters, they just burn out. Can anyone confirm the operation and that the igniter should turn off after passing the detent on the valve? Where is the switch located, in the safety valve (which I've already had to replace one other time,) in the valve, or elsewhere? Per the diagram it seems independent of the modules for the simmer and burner control and nothing in the diagram and parts list indicates a separate valve.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 23, 2008 1:36:47 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Bob,

The grill igniter works the same way as the oven igniter and it must stay "on" as long as you need the burner to stay "on".

You can learn how the igniter works from one of previous posts: http://forum.appliancepartspros...1897-oven-wont-lite.html

Here are the break down diagrams for the Thermador range Model PCS364GL

Gene.

P.S The average life time for an igniter is about 3 to 5 years (if used weekly).
Bob338  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 23, 2008 3:18:51 PM(UTC)
Bob338

Thanks Gene, the life has seemed to be a bit over that as it was replace under warranty in 2001-2002. Problem is I don't recall that igniter ever staying on or being as bright as it is. Just doesn't seem right to me.

I pulled the thing apart today again and noticed there is a switch on the valve identical to the switch on the regular burners. It seems to me that switch is what turns the burner igniters on until the burners are lit then then they go off when the burners light and you go past a point in rotation of the valve. Why wouldn't that same switch do the same and turn off the igniter for the grill? Why does the valve show "Lite" separate and different from the burner valves? In the wiring diagram they seem to be identically wired. It does seem to be in series with the safety valve along with the igniter. Doesnt' seem right to me. Anyway, the switch is cheap, I've ordered a replacement and hope that solves my question. Thanks!
zaidyron  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 6:59:35 PM(UTC)
zaidyron

I just ordered the grill ignitor, but need some direction on how to replace.
it doesn't look like it replaces from the top ???
can you help ??
Gene  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 1:57:53 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: zaidyron Go to Quoted Post
I just ordered the grill ignitor, but need some direction on how to replace.
it doesn't look like it replaces from the top ???
can you help ??

What is the complete model number of the unit?

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply