Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RSMBob  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2009 9:34:27 AM(UTC)
RSMBob

Groups: Registered

I'm visiting mom and noticed that her gas oven was taking a long time to pre-heat (20 minutes to get to 350). Once I was cooking on the stove with the oven on and felt a small pop as the oven door hit me lightly. As I understand it, this oven has 2 burners...the lower burner is for the oven only and the top burner is a combo broiler/oven burner. this would correspond with the visual display on the top panel.

Upon further inspection, when I turn on the oven, the bottom glow bar glows orange and the burner lights, but the top burner did NOT glow. However, when I chose the broil setting, that same top glow bar turned bright orange and it lit up fine.

I thought I would just replace the igniter on top, but seeing that it worked fine in the broil mode, i am wondering if it isn't something else that needs attention. Any help/advice appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2009 11:47:08 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The Bake and the Broil work separate and never work together.

If it takes more than 70 seconds to light up the burner since the control turned on, then the igniter for this burner has to be replaced.

- The igniter Part number: AP4012072
RSMBob  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2009 2:04:02 PM(UTC)
RSMBob

Gene,

Thanks for the courteous reply. I am just confused how bake and broil work sepearately but they use the same glow bar to light the flame.

By the way, I'm flying back to my home the end of the week...Orange County (RSM). I have a Kenmore Advantium oven that went bad on me...might be time to have you out for a visit.

Bob H (in Chicago for now)
Gene  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2009 2:19:53 PM(UTC)
Gene

Bob,

If you'll click on the model number link, you can see two separate burners with the igniter for each one. Call me when you'll get home about your Kenmore.

Gene.
RSMBob  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:22:20 AM(UTC)
RSMBob

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Bob,

If you'll click on the model number link, you can see two separate burners with the igniter for each one. Call me when you'll get home about your Kenmore.

Gene.

One last point of clarification....

Call me blind, but when I look in the oven, I see an oven igniter/burner below the bottom floor panel of the oven. This appears to be working fine.

At the top ceiling of the oven, I see one burner and I think just one igniter. I assumed this was the problem as I thought it was supposed to go on for oven or broiler. It goes on for the broiler but NOT for the oven, but I am now confused as if it IS supposed to go on for the oven. I don't want to replace it if it isn't bad.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:19:53 PM(UTC)
Gene

Bob,

Broil means to cook by direct heat or to cook in an oven under the heat. So the heat source is over a cooking food and Broil heating element (burner) is located at the top of an oven.

Bake means to cook with dry (indirect) heat and the heat source is on very bottom of an oven, very often under oven floor.

These two types of cooking can not be combined. In some ovens (not in your model) Broil heating element used together with Bake element for preheating only to short it's time.

Quote:
... Once I was cooking on the stove with the oven on and felt a small pop as the oven door hit me lightly...

It can be a sign of a bad (weak) igniter and it's better to replace it.

Gene.
RSMBob  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2009 8:51:37 PM(UTC)
RSMBob

Bob,

Broil means to cook by direct heat or to cook in an oven under the heat. So the heat source is over a cooking food and Broil heating element (burner) is located at the top of an oven.

Bake means to cook with dry (indirect) heat and the heat source is on very bottom of an oven, very often under oven floor.

These two types of cooking can not be combined. In some ovens (not in your model) Broil heating element used together with Bake element for preheating only to short it's time.

It can be a sign of a bad (weak) igniter and it's better to replace it.

Gene.

Ok, so I should replace the BOTTOM igniter then? My confusion lies from the fact that when I pulled off the bottom panel and turned the oven on, the glow bar glowed and lit the burner fine, but there was NO activity at the top burner. I was assuming that since the diaplay panel shows both a top and bottom bar when I choose BAKE that both should light, and the fact that the top one did not light indicated that THAT was the reason the oven was so slow to pre-heat. If that wasn't enough, it confused me further that when I chose BROIL (where just the top bar lights up on the display) the glow bar glowed and burner lit fine.
Gene  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 30, 2009 10:26:41 PM(UTC)
Gene

As you can see in the Owners manual (page 10), both bars on the display is the Bake symbol. It is confusing, but this is the way how Maytag designed it.

Quote:
...when I pulled off the bottom panel and turned the oven on, the glow bar glowed and lit the burner fine...

You still did not answered my question: how long it took?

Gene.
RSMBob  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2010 12:19:59 PM(UTC)
RSMBob

As you can see in the Owners manual (page 10), both bars on the display is the Bake symbol. It is confusing, but this is the way how Maytag designed it.

You still did not answered my question: how long it took?

Gene.

Sorry I missed the part about you asking me that. When I pulled the bottom panel off and turned the oven on bake, it glowed and lit in about 30 seconds. However, there have been instances when it has taken significantly longer, and then there were the instances of the "pop" and the slow pre-heats. Bottom line is that I ordered a new igniter and my bro-in-law will put it in next week. Hopefully that will solve the problem!

Gene, I'll call you next week on my Advantium oven.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply