Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mulean  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 22, 2008 6:59:24 PM(UTC)
mulean

Groups: Registered

I was self-cleaning the upper oven of my Whirlpool double wall oven when it completely shut down mid-cycle. No display on panel and door is locked, even after cool down. Circuit breaker ok. Heard there is a thermal fuse somewhere behind the oven, but don't know how to access it (remove oven from wall?). Also, is there any way in the interim to get the door open so I can get the last numbers of the model number? There appears to be 2 different thermal fuse/thermistor part numbers, depending upon the model. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 23, 2008 12:58:41 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You can find the complete instructions how to open the control panel and the oven door in one of previous posts: http://forum.appliancepartspros...ning-cycle-rbd306pd.html

Post the complete model number and we'll help you with the right part numbers.

Gene.
mulean  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:18:07 PM(UTC)
mulean

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
You can find the complete instructions how to open the control panel and the oven door in one of previous posts: http://forum.appliancepartspros...ning-cycle-rbd306pd.html

Post the complete model number and we'll help you with the right part numbers.

Gene.

Gene, thanks for the link. Removed the control panel, was able to depress the solenoid to open the door and get the model number (RBD275PDB6). Also checked both the control panel thermal fuse and the thermistor on the rear of the oven for continuity per the schematic located in the control panel cavity and both appear to be blown (no continuity). I will replace both, one of which involves removing the oven, and hopefully I will be up and running. Part numbers are AP3008987 and AP3110028. Thanks again
Gene  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2008 7:58:36 PM(UTC)
Gene

Keep me updated, please and try not to use the self clean anymore.

Gene.
mulean  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2008 12:20:03 PM(UTC)
mulean

Gene,
I installed both new fuses and everything now works fine. Verified that they were both blown. Over the ten years I have owned the wall oven, I have self-cleaned it many times with no problems until the last time. Do you still recommend not using the self clean cycle? Is it a "hit or miss" as to whether the fused will blow or not?
Gene  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2008 12:42:23 PM(UTC)
Gene

It was one of most common problems with these ovens: improper air flow through the top and the back of the oven during self clean, causing overheating.

Whirlpool recommended to replace the whole blower assembly and to install an extra glass in the upper oven door to fix it. This is pretty complicated job with much over a 100 bucks for parts.

You have three options: forget about self clean, try to use self clean and be prepared to replace the fuses again or install the kit, recommended by Whirlpool to fix this problem.

Gene.
mulean  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2008 3:17:16 PM(UTC)
mulean

Thanks for the info Gene....When the oven overheated, I used an ordinary house fan, blowing into the intake grill under the control panel to cool it down. Do you think that might help during the self clean cycle to increase the air flow? Wouldn't be a big deal to do since I don't self clean the oven that often
Gene  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2008 5:01:33 PM(UTC)
Gene

No, I do not think it's a good idea. Actually using such fan could make it even worse.

Gene.
mulean  
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 30, 2008 5:55:19 AM(UTC)
mulean

OK...I'll take your advice and stay away from using the clean cycle. thanks for all your help
madtowncookie  
#10 Posted : Monday, July 19, 2010 10:37:49 AM(UTC)
madtowncookie

Hi,
I have the same exact problem mulean had on the same model oven (RBD275PDB6), and I want to order parts to try to fix it.
Mulean mentions that he replaced parts AP3008987 and AP3110028.
Apparently there is another fuse for this oven - AP3133249 - do you suggest that I replace this part as well?
Thanks for any help!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply