Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RoyD  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2008 10:43:55 AM(UTC)
RoyD

Groups: Registered

I ran out of LP gas a few weeks ago. When the tank was refilled and I lit the oven, heavy black smoke came out of the oven burner. I shut the oven off and cleaned it after cooling. Some soot settled on the oven ignitor and it burned out.

I replaced the ignitor, and the oven still didn't lite. The broiler works fine. I swapped the oven and broiler ignitors, both are ok. I talked to a parts person on here and they said that the oven is controlled by the clock assembly and the oven temp probe, and that either could be bad. I was also told that using the self clean feature shortenes the clock assembly life due to excess heat. Since I was already having trouble with the oven giving me an error code when I tried to self clean (I believe it said oven not locked or oven open) I figured it was the clock.

I removed the temp probe assembly and checked it with an ohm meter. The ohm value changed as the probe was partially submerged in boiling water, so I assumed it was good. Clock was ordered and installed. Oven still doesn't work, but broiler does. help!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

RoyD  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 22, 2008 5:10:07 AM(UTC)
RoyD

Yesterday I replaced the temp probe as recommended by a parts person here. Oven still doesn't lite. So I take the wall oven out and remove the back cover only to find a gas valve with 2 solenoids. I am quite sure the problem lies here. Can anyone give me the voltage values going in to this solenoid and the ohm value of each solenoid if different??

Much to my additional dismay I found a number of pinched wires that were made that way during initial assembly. So much for Jenn Air quality.
RoyD  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 23, 2008 10:14:07 AM(UTC)
RoyD

I surfed the net and found www.********.com. There I found the ohm specs on the gas valve. A good valve should test around 2-5 ohms. The one for my broiler (the side that worked) tested at 1.4 ohms. The oven side of the valve tested at 10.6 ohms.

Curiosity got the best of me so I took the valve apart. The oven side of the valve was obviously bad, there were burned wires and a large carbon smudge.

Do yourselves a favor. Don't take the advice of the parts people. I invested in a clock assembly and a temp probe "because that is all that controls the gas to the oven." Neither were bad. Now I have to buy a gas valve.

Have a happy Easter.

Roy
RoyD  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 23, 2008 10:16:29 AM(UTC)
RoyD

I see that other web addresses are blocked automatically. Everyone knows the three same letters and dot that go first, follow that by the words fix it now with no spaces between then your usual ending.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply