Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GeorgiaM  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2009 5:24:33 PM(UTC)
GeorgiaM

Groups: Registered

Saturday, in the middle of baking cookies, the bottom element started sparking. We turned off the oven and it kept going. I dumped all the baking soda on it and, when it kept going, a cup of flour. That didn't slow it down, so we tried the fire extinguisher. As we pulled it out from the wall to unplug it, the flour blew and the element broke in 3 pieces. I had an experienced friend replace the element. There was a hole in the back wall where the element used to connect. He took the back off, cut back and stripped wires, attached a new connector and replaced the element. Now, I have nothing - no clock, no burners, no oven. Yes, I reset the breaker and checked that the plug is snug (that's the extent of my knowledge!). He's going to come back tomorrow with a meter but is it possible I totally fried my oven by exploding the flour?
Georgia
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

GeorgiaM  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2009 7:28:29 AM(UTC)
GeorgiaM

Apparently, the breaker is kicking back off as soon as it is reset.
GeorgiaM  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2009 7:54:21 AM(UTC)
GeorgiaM

The new lugs were longer and shorted out to the back panel. They are wrapped in electrical tape now. Should I get some kind of heat tape? If so, what?
denman  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 25, 2009 3:18:45 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here is the bake element, check the rear 3.5 inches to be sure you have the correct element,
Part number: AP4356505
Part number: AP4356505

Element, Bake - Size: approx. 19 1/2" Wide X 15" Deep (from bracket to front of element). Element extends approx. 3 1/2 inches past bracket to the terminals.

Yes electrical tape is no good.
Go to a local appliance parts supplier and get some high temperature insulating sleeve.

I still would not trust it as I would worry that over time the connection will wear through the insulating sleeve.

So my solution would be to get a metal project box or something like that.
Then cut out where the element ends touch the rear panel and mount the box onto the outside of the panel. So that the element ends are inside this box and cannot touch anything.

I know this is a lot of work but it is the only safe method I can think of.
Hopefully someone else will jump in with an easier solution.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply