Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZipAgent  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2009 8:17:16 PM(UTC)
ZipAgent

Groups: Registered

We had a transformer blow at the pole. A few breakers tripped and I reset them and everything was OK

Then I notice no power -- nothing on the oven

Is there a fuse or?? I can check the oven side of the breaker to see if I have 220V If I do then what? Pull the unit out of the wall ?? Thanks for any help in advance!

Scott
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Qtip  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2009 8:28:04 PM(UTC)
Qtip

if it has some kind of electronic push pad for the oven i would start by checking that. if it does have that push pad then cut the power and pull the push pad out and look at the board for any burn marks or anything
ZipAgent  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2009 8:32:36 PM(UTC)
ZipAgent

push pad --do you mean control panel on the front of the oven?
ZipAgent  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 12, 2009 9:11:47 PM(UTC)
ZipAgent

I unscrewed the control panel and the glass F1 fuse is open.

I can jump it to see if I get action ? Maybe other components were affected ??

The Whirlpool Oven # is 4454767 which is on the tech sheet

Any ideas comments etc!!
denman  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 13, 2009 5:32:17 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I unscrewed the control panel and the glass F1 fuse is open.
I can jump it to see if I get action ?

I would replace the fuse instead of jumping it.
Since you do not know what has happened on the board and do not want to blow something else.
I would worry about the control panel even though it looks like a passive device (just bubble switches without any transistors or diodes etc) a high voltage could blow a switch.
Looks like the fuse is soldered in which is a pain so it may be worth while taking the board to an electronics supply store, getting fuse holder that will fit and soldering it in.

Maybe other components were affected ??
You may get lucky and only the fuse is blown.
Often though a component on the board is gone, electronic parts (transistors, IC's etc. blow faster than a fuse.

Also a model number may help if you need additional help.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
ZipAgent  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 13, 2009 7:12:30 AM(UTC)
ZipAgent

I agree I should put a new fuse in place first. I also agree that the board could have other issues as well.

Are there places that could repair this board or does one need to replace it?

I think they are $300 -$400

The oven is like $1600 so a bd fix or replacement should be the way to go.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for all help
denman  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 13, 2009 7:58:29 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)

Are there places that could repair this board or does one need to replace it?

Yes there are companies that repair timers/control boards, just do a Google "oven timer board repair". I do not know what they charge and have never used one.

I think they are $300 -$400
Look here for a price.Appliance Parts search by model or part number | AppliancePartsPros.com
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
SydnahG  
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:19:41 PM(UTC)
SydnahG

I have a Whirlpool built in electric double oven. I don't know the model number because I cannot open the oven door to check it. The manual says it is for Models beginning with RBD,RBS and YRB. It is 6 years old. Last night I selected the Oven Cleaning button (AutoClean Upper) and the readout said 3:30 and it locked the door and started the process. We could smell burning stuff for about an hour. A couple of hours later I checked it and the screen was completely blank and the oven was still locked but cooling down. I got up this morning and the screen is still blank and the door is still locked and the oven is cold. I checked the breaker and it wasn't tripped but I flipped it back and forth several times (waiting a minute or so before flipping on). Nothing has changed. I check the GFI breaker in the kitchen and it wasn't tripped. I tripped it and reset it. Still nothing. What do I do next? I have under 2 weeks til Christmas dinner for 13.

Thanks!
Gene  
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 13, 2009 3:41:28 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SydnahG Go to Quoted Post
I have a Whirlpool built in electric double oven. I don't know the model number because I cannot open the oven door to check it. The manual says it is for Models beginning with RBD,RBS and YRB. It is 6 years old. Last night I selected the Oven Cleaning button (AutoClean Upper) and the readout said 3:30 and it locked the door and started the process. We could smell burning stuff for about an hour. A couple of hours later I checked it and the screen was completely blank and the oven was still locked but cooling down. I got up this morning and the screen is still blank and the door is still locked and the oven is cold. I checked the breaker and it wasn't tripped but I flipped it back and forth several times (waiting a minute or so before flipping on). Nothing has changed. I check the GFI breaker in the kitchen and it wasn't tripped. I tripped it and reset it. Still nothing. What do I do next? I have under 2 weeks til Christmas dinner for 13.

Thanks!

This is very common problem with most of Whirlpool and Kitchen Aid electric ovens. You can find some useful information in one of our previous posts: http://forum.appliancepartspros...ba-double-oven-help.html

Look for the model number on the upper oven door frame (after you'll open it) and post it for diagrams and part numbers.

Gene.
SydnahG  
#10 Posted : Sunday, December 13, 2009 9:11:52 PM(UTC)
SydnahG

Finally got the door open and the model number is RBD305PDQ14. We got the front control panel off and found what we think is the control panel thermal fuse but can only remove one side. The other side seems to be completely attached. We could not find the oven shutdown thermal fuse. Would we need to pull the entire oven out of the wall to find that?
Diagrams and pics of the thermal fuses would be great.!

Thanks, Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply