Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shucky  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 2, 2009 7:24:42 AM(UTC)
shucky

Groups: Registered

a couple of months ago my broil element shorted out or actually broke in half. My husband went to ge a new one but they were closed. my baking element still worked. so I was able to bake. last week i cleaned the oven (self-cleaning oven) it worked without the the broil element, I didnt even think I needed the broil element in there. I went to bake something the next day and it heated up but after 10 minutes of baking i checked on it and the oven had quit working. even tripped the breaker. so I went and flipped the breaker, the display works, and the cook top works, but the oven would not heat up again or the preheat time wouldnt work, is that because the element isnt in the stove? My husband took the baking element out the heat fuse or sensor whatever it is called, and the temp probe. I brought it in to the whirlpool dealer he tested all three things and they all work well. could it be the board. why would my oven work again for a short time if the board went? or what could be wrong? also the connectors for the broil need to be replaced, they got ruined, my husband thinks when I cleaned the oven. they burned some of the insultion on the back of the stove. needless to say he isnt too happy with me. Didnt even think I needed the broiler element in there to clean.. so any ideas what is our next step and what is wrong with it. thanks for all your help....
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 3, 2009 2:36:38 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL RF262LXSQ0 30" Electric Freestanding Self Clean Range | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is the tech sheet
http://www.servicematters.com/d...0Sheet%20-%209762972.pdf

a couple of months ago my broil element shorted out or actually broke in half. My husband went to ge a new one but they were closed. my baking element still worked. so I was able to bake. last week i cleaned the oven (self-cleaning oven) it worked without the the broil element, I didnt even think I needed the broil element in there. I went to bake something the next day and it heated up but after 10 minutes of baking i checked on it and the oven had quit working. even tripped the breaker. so I went and flipped the breaker, the display works, and the cook top works, but the oven would not heat up again or the preheat time wouldnt work, is that because the element isnt in the stove?
Sounds like the wires for the broil element shorted out and probably destroyed the control board. Probably blew up the relay contacts.
Could be that it just needs a broil element but I doubt it!!!

could it be the board. why would my oven work again for a short time if the board went? or what could be wrong?
See above

also the connectors for the broil need to be replaced, they got ruined, my husband thinks when I cleaned the oven. they burned some of the insultion on the back of the stove. needless to say he isnt too happy with me.
He should not be too mad at you as leaving wires in a stove with the element disconnected is not a good idea. The only way this would be safe is if the connectors are insulated with high temperature wire insulation. Standard electrical tape is no good as it cannot withstand the heat.

Didnt even think I needed the broiler element in there to clean

Stoves use both elements during self clean. If you look at the tech sheet you will see that it is the broil element which has the higher wattage.
Most also use both elements during preheat.

so any ideas what is our next step and what is wrong with it.
Probably time to call in a pro.
You need a new broil element and wires/connectors replaced.
If the wiring is not done correctly it will overheat and cause problems in the future.
Odds are high that you will also need a new control board.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply