Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rlukeball  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2008 12:24:24 PM(UTC)
rlukeball

Groups: Registered

The two left burners on my Thermador range were recently not working at all. I ordered a new CONTROL UNIT and installed it.
Now the left rear burner works perfectly (including its intermittant setting), but the left front burner does not usually light. If I turn it on and off repeated (about 20 times) it just might light but only for about 5 seconds. It does not usually spark. And most often the solenoid gas control does not click.

Should I assume the new control unit is faulty and order another, or what?

--rlb
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Servicer  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 29, 2008 5:00:46 AM(UTC)
Servicer

Groups: Senior Expert

Hello,
The part you installed, which I'm going to assume was the Simmer Control Module, was it part of a kit which included said control and two potentiometer switches? If not, you may want to look into replacing the left/front potentiometer. It's what "tells" the simmer control that you're trying to turn that burner on. To test this theory, you can swap the potentiometer from the left rear valve to the left front and see if the problem follows the potentiometer.

FYI - The potentiometer is the square piece that slides oven the valve stem.

Also, can you provide me with the serial number of the range and part number you installed?
rlukeball  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 29, 2008 6:09:03 AM(UTC)
rlukeball

Originally Posted by: Servicer Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
The part you installed, which I'm going to assume was the Simmer Control Module, was it part of a kit which included said control and two potentiometer switches? If not, you may want to look into replacing the left/front potentiometer. It's what "tells" the simmer control that you're trying to turn that burner on. To test this theory, you can swap the potentiometer from the left rear valve to the left front and see if the problem follows the potentiometer.

FYI - The potentiometer is the square piece that slides oven the valve stem.

Also, can you provide me with the serial number of the range and part number you installed?

Serial number of range is 99050064. The part I replaced is called "Control Unit" on the packing slip. Make and Part # BSH 422882. It was not part of kit.
I did not replace the sparking control or either Pot. I will swap the pots and see if that tells me anything.
Thank you for you relpy!
(2 hours later) I swapped the potentiometers and now the formerly non-working burner lights and the formerly working burner doesn't. The problem is obviously the pot.
When I look at the parts catalog online I cannot find the pots for sale except in the kit you mentioned, and then I notice that the electrical contact tabs are on the opposite (right) side of the pots from the existing pots. Do you have a recommendation?

-rlb
Servicer  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 29, 2008 6:02:56 PM(UTC)
Servicer

Groups: Senior Expert

I believe you can, but I'm away from all of my info this weekend, so I'll have to check it out on Monday. You can try to call Thermador customer service @ 800-735-4328 to see if they have a break down of the kit. Ask them to look for the Potentiometer Kit bulletin.

Oh ya - the part number of the kit is 497235.

Edit - after looking the kit up on APP, I see the pot number is 422748.

2ND Edit - after inspecting the picture APP has of the 422748, it looks like that is the pot Thermador had problems with. If you look at the gold contacts in the picture you'll see two holes. The upgraded potentiometers will have the letters, "SW6" and "SW7" under those holes. If you receive pots w/o said lettering they may short out on you.

If they can, have APP open a kit to look for a packing list. The upgraded potentiometer part numbers start with a 6. I was hoping the 422748 would sub, but apparently not..unless APP's photo is old.
seldomvisitor  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2009 3:00:19 AM(UTC)
seldomvisitor

Accessing the "parts for sale" pages of this site, there is an image of the kit that is being sold to replace the simmer controller and two pots. Part of that image is a picture of a Thermador Service Bulletin about the problem.

http://www.appliancepartspros.c...t_id=3872616&image=0

552859 appears to be the bulletin number (?). Is that Service Bulletin available around here?
seldomvisitor  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:43:17 AM(UTC)
seldomvisitor

A general followup on a Thermador "simmer burner" problem and fix...

This morning I replaced just the potentiometer of a dead simmer-burner (on a Thermador PRSG304). The replacement pot cost about $15 (pre-shipping) and the actual process to replace it was pretty simple - remove a couple panels, disconnect and literally pop off the pot, replace it, done. This resulted in gas flowing per command to the burner for the first time in more than 10 years (dead burner for a long time!). Unfortunately, the connector for the pot was well-corroded on pin #1 and that pin is what controls the sparker. Turning on any other burner, of course, sparks the now-semi-fixed burner, too, so that's my current workaround of no spark when used alone. If I get crazy I'll think about replacing the connector as well some years down the road but for now I'm a real Happy Camper.

[note - the XLO function of the now-fixed burner does not work alone - no spark still. However, if the OTHER XLO burner is also on XLO then the spark switch of THAT one causes the spark-impaired burner to ignite, too. Since I cannot remember EVER using XLO this does not bother me...]
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply