Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
readheads  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 12, 2017 7:36:08 PM(UTC)
readheads

Groups: Registered

Looking for help !
The fan on my Zephyr Venezia Stovehood Fan (Model ZVE-E30AS) has stopped working. I has 6 speeds up to 750 CFM. Lights work fine. It is over 10 years old. I have previously torn it down to change bearings twice over the years so I am quite familiar with the guts of it. This has me stumped a bit. Unfortunately, I cannot locate the wiring diagram nor a repair manual. I am trying to find which electrical component is bad. The issue starting happening after a neighborhood power glitch which also blew out my Verizon FIOS requiring a new distribution box.
When you push the fan button there is no noise at all, no hum, nothing. I did a complete teardown, used jumpers, and this is what I determined:
1. Switch continuity verified OK
2. Circuit board output (to the fan motor) with motor unconnected is OK at 120v.
3. Circuit board output (to the fan motor) with motor connected is NG at 0v.
4. Starter capacitor (25 uF) tested OK on meter, spike on meter repeatedly as you switch leads. I do not have the right meter to test the uF tolerances. The cap was physically perfect with no bulges, etc.
5. Hooked up the fan motor direct to 120v with the starter cap in place and the fan ran perfectly. Although, it runs only at the highest speed (which I recognize from the sound).
6. I suspect something on the circuit board is sensing something not right with the motor/cap and therefore shuts the voltage off to the motor.
What do you guys think ?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.