Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Malexi  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 2, 2017 9:46:25 AM(UTC)
Malexi

Groups: Registered

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone help me please.....around a week ago I went to use my lower oven and began to notice a vague smell like burning plastic as the oven transitioned from preheat to fully heated.

Because of this I opted this week to only use the upper oven. When I used the upper oven the oven was working fine with no smell.

Yesterday evening I decided to give the lower oven a go again and was hoping maybe the issue had passed. Regrettably however the odd plastic smell returned.

What could this be ?? After opening the door an examining it everything looked fine and I could not see any melted or burning plastic. So I thought that maybe the oven was dirty so I decided to put it through a self clean mode. BIG MISTAKE!!

Yesterday for the 1st hour of the self clean everything was pretty normal - I could smell the burning plastic but it seemed pretty light. Though that could be because it was masked by the scent of the self clean.

Anyhow because everything was running fine I opted to go about the rest of my day and approximately 90 minutes later I returned to check on the oven. This time when I returned both the upper and lower oven lights were on and the display read PF. I touched the lower oven window and it seemed that it had already cooled down so I went open the lower oven door but it was LOCKED.

I tried everything last night to turn the lights off and open the door - in fact for a few hours but the door simply would not open and the lights would not turn off.

So I decided to go to sleep and this morning when I woke up I called whirlpool - they told me that PF means "Power Failure". They told me I had to go out to the circuit breaker and power down the oven for 1/2 minutes and then power it up again. I did this twice in fact. They said that it would reset the oven and that may work. Sadly though it didn't. All that happened is that the PF returned on the LCD screen and the oven still remained locked and lights remained on.

So you are aware the upper oven door still opens and works. When I press the preheat function the LCD panel reads PRE and the DOOR. PRE signifies the preheat and I think DOOR maybe refers to the lower DOOR being locked.

Can someone please help me to diagnose and possibly repair this issue....??

I look forward to your responses...

Thanks,

Alex
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.