Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tiredoftakeout  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 11, 2017 3:03:02 PM(UTC)
tiredoftakeout

Groups: Registered

I have a Fridgadaire FEFL89CCA that is not receiving power to the bake element. I tested the element and it seems to have the proper resistance, I also tested the temperature probe. When bake is turned on their is not the proper voltage to the element (the meter did read 12 V at one point, but I'm not sure if that is due to it being a cheap meter). The broil element is receiving the proper voltage, and everything on the oven/stove works except this element.

When turning bake on I hear the relays "pop" and again when turning it off?

I'm not sure where to turn next for troubleshooting. I'm not too experienced with complex electronics and am a little hesitant to have the power running while doing some tests.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 11, 2017 4:46:53 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Its probably a bad relay on the electronic oven control board.

Here is the wiring diagram.

Parts for Frigidaire FEFL89CCA: Wiring Schematic Parts - AppliancePartsPros.com

The EOC board.

Frigidaire 316207620 Clock/timer Board - AppliancePartsPros.com

There are places that can repair the boards, that might be a little cheaper.
tiredoftakeout  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 12, 2017 4:25:48 AM(UTC)
tiredoftakeout

Thank you for the quick response. Looking at that schematic (and I'm not great at reading them), I'm not showing any switch specific to the bake element. It looks like it's wired right to the board, and then connected to the same wiring as the broil element?

With broil working, does this mean the relay would be one of the components on the board itself? If so, is there anyway to find a schematic of the board? Also, is there a chance it is another issue like a limit switch or another sensor, or almost certainly just an issue with the board?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.

Thanks for the help!
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 12, 2017 9:21:23 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tiredoftakeout Go to Quoted Post
bake element. It looks like it's wired right to the board, and then connected to the same wiring as the broil element?

With broil working, does this mean the relay would be one of the components on the board itself? If so, is there anyway to find a schematic of the board? Also, is there a chance it is another issue like a limit switch or another sensor, or almost certainly just an issue with the board?

Yes, the Bake and broil elements wires come right to the board. L2 out is the common terminal for both elements. BK = bake is the "hot" for the bake element. BR = broil and it does the same for the broil element.

L2 out actually supplies 120 volts to both elements (this is why you always unplug the range before you touch the elements.) Then to turn them on so they can heat, the relay is activated and it supplies the other 120 volts to the element. A total of 240 volts AC is necessary to make the elements glow.

What happens is the relay has a set of contacts inside it. After many times of the contacts opening and closing, the contacts start to arc. Then they start to burn. Sometimes they burn so much they can't make contact anymore.

Other times the contacts get so hot, they start melting the solder that attaches them to the board. Then that arcs and burns up a trace on the board.

Sometimes its as simple as unsoldering a relay and putting another on the board. Or rebuilding the burnt trace and replacing the relay.

If it is the relay and both the bake and broil relays are the same, you could swap the broil relay for the bake relay.

In this picture the black boxes and the two white boxes on the board are relays.

UserPostedImage
tiredoftakeout  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 13, 2017 6:43:53 AM(UTC)
tiredoftakeout

Thank you for the additional information, I appreciate all of your help. I did a little more troubleshooting and found that when I very first turn the oven to bake the element heats up and there is some voltage applied to the element.

Could this still be the relay making a weak connection and then opening the connection after some heat is applied, or is there anything else I should be checking. I just want to make sure before spending all that money on the control board.

Thanks again!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply