Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mondschatten  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2017 3:23:29 PM(UTC)
Mondschatten

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I am hoping this is an easy one for people who have experience installing ovens. I just got a new oven and discovered that it would not fit in the same space due to the electrical box placement. So I moved the box a little higher to make it fit, as I realized that oven has a space in the back of the frame that could accommodate the box.

However, I had to cut out some of the wall and put the wires through a different hole in the electrical box because I could not get the sheathe with he wires to bend in the appropriate place. I didn't want to crimp the wires too much.

So, now I am worried that it may get too hot behind the oven and that the wires could melt or something. I will post 2 pics to show what I mean.

The oven will be about an inch or two so away from wall. Is this OK? Is this dangerous? I am unsure how to make this work if sheathe needs to come in from back and wall has to be closed up.

Any help in this matter is appreciated. Thanks
Mondschatten attached the following image(s):
Electrical box - closed.jpg
Electrical box - open.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 10, 2017 7:51:34 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I usually just go by the specifications in the installation manual. I looked at the one for your wall oven on $ears web site.

I didn't see any minimum clearance for the back of the oven. So any space would be better than none. Maybe some one else will chime in on this and set me straight. ;)

On the electrical box, don't leave any open holes. I always buy those metal plugs for the holes. That way if anything bad happens inside the box it can't get out and take off.

It sure would be nice if the manufacturers would agree on size dimensions and placement of connections, so they would all be easy to change out.
Mondschatten  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 10, 2017 7:59:56 AM(UTC)
Mondschatten

Hi ThatGuy,

Thanks for responding. So, my intention is to have the wires from the house come in through the hole in the top left (which you can see in the picture) and the oven wires come in through the right side (will have to make another hole in box for that). SO, there shouldn't be an open hole in the box.

However, the issue is the wires that come from the house. The sheathe that they are in is exposed, as you can see. and the hole in the wall is needed so far as I can figure so that the wall wires can hit the box at the right angle.

It is ugly, but I don't care about that. I am just worried that it will get too hot and that with nothing in between the oven and that sheathe that you can see in the pic it might cause trouble. But, maybe not? Maybe it won't get hot enough to be a problem?
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 10, 2017 8:14:39 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
You could just buy a new box and knock out the correct holes.

If you can imagine one of the wires burning up and hot plastic or copper dripping though the open hole into your wall.......yeah, you don't want that.

As for the exposed un-shielded wiring you could put a piece of drywall over the holes in the wall. Just be careful and avoid putting screws to close to it.
Mondschatten  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 10, 2017 8:41:52 AM(UTC)
Mondschatten

Oh, this box is fine, as it has a large number of punchouts all throughout. The problem is the only way I seem to be able to get the wall wires through (with that metal ring around them where it enters the box) is using the hole I am currently using on the side. But that means the sheathe must come out of the wall since the box is screwed into the stud and sticks out beyond the wall. So, can't put sheetrock to cover it.
Mondschatten  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 14, 2017 6:47:54 PM(UTC)
Mondschatten

Hi, just a quick update. I called GE and was told to move the box up and to the right so it would fit better in the space that GE designed for it on the back of the oven (top right). Doing so gave me more flexibility with the armored cable so I could put the house wires through the back of the electrical box after all. Just as is was before, more or less.

Seems to be working fine now. I will check again soon to be sure wiring seems OK.

Thanks for all the advice.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply