Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TStiger  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2017 7:56:08 PM(UTC)
TStiger

Groups: Registered

Here's a fun one! My bake setting is not working, neither bake element or broil element heat up, during bake. Broil works just fine when on broil setting. Both are getting the proper 120 to each. Both elements pass the continuity test. I have replaced both bake element and oven temperature sensor. Told it has to be either bake element or control board but with elements passing test and control board sending power I am at a lost. Only area I have not read power is to the temperature sensor, that said if I unplug the sensor bring up an error message, therefore the board has to recognize it. Any ideas?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 2:02:27 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Almost every oven I've worked on has to have 240 Volts AC to the bake or broil elements for them to work correctly.

One side of the element is always connected to one side of the 240 coming into the range (120 volts).

The other side of the 120 is switched by a relay on the oven control board. When it switches on the relay, 120 plus 120 equals 240 volts is applied to the element and it gets very hot.

I suspect you have a bad relay on your board.

Frigidaire 316557118 Oven Control Board - AppliancePartsPros.com

I got this part # 316557118 from $ears lookup.
TStiger  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 6:48:57 PM(UTC)
TStiger

I am getting 120 to each for a total of 240, My new bake element is only showing 16 Ohms though. Make it worse while testing it it worked for me once, then hasnt worked again. Could there be a short somewhere?
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 8:50:29 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

16 ohms sounds good.

Watch this video, it might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MriKb4EykO8
ThatGuy  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 9:15:55 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

Let me clarify what a bad relay is.

Inside a relay is a set of contacts that are "open" then "close" when power is applied across the relay's coil.

These contacts are rated for a max voltage and amperage. Every time they close/open they arc a little. Slowly, after years of use, the contacts start to burn. Once they get too burned up, they have trouble making contact, and that leads to more burning and finally failure.

They can't make contact to complete the circuit, the element can't get 240 so it never gets hot.

The ones on the left are clean, the ones on the right are burnt.

UserPostedImage
TStiger  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 5:27:08 AM(UTC)
TStiger

I've watched that video and many others. And the are getting the 240 volts, the problem in not the power making it to them, both broiler and bake element are getting the power. But neither heat when turned onto bake, but broiler works when on broil. LOL This is why I'm so lost! Everything indicates the temperature sensor but I've replaced that was well. Also I really appreciate you help!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply