Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FrankW80  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2016 5:11:30 AM(UTC)
FrankW80

Groups: Registered

So I have a six year old GE oven (Canadian model but made in Mexico). Lately I've noticed something odd with the oven.

I have been making the same meatloaf for several years now in the same glass pan and cooking at the same temperature on the same rack, but it is not finished cooking at the usual time.

Previously I could be sure of the meatloaf hitting its internal temperature at the one hour mark. Now it is 30 to 40 degrees low.

My wife has noticed that her muffins are taking longer as well.

I pulled the bottom element cover off and observed the element while setting the oven to 400F.

I expected the element to come on and stay on until the oven hits 400F. But what happens (I've repeated this four times) is the element begins to heat evenly for a few seconds "CLICK" from the control panel, then the element goes dark, "CLICK" then a little more heating "CLICK" then the element goes dark, then "CLICK" the element heats up longer, then "CLICK" the element goes dark, etc.

So is the problem likely with the control panel relay, the thermostat or the element? The element does heat evenly.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2016 10:06:35 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
That's the way all this modern stuff heats. Relay kicks in, element starts to glow, relays kicks out. Repeat....... Till the oven gets hot.

During preheat it cycles both broil and bake on and off to heat up faster.

In the old days the mechanical thermostat would turn on and the element would glow red until the oven was hot enough. The old ones lasted 20 to 30+ years.

The new ones cycle too much and really need heavier duty relays. They are lucky to last 5 or more years. Almost always the relay contacts burn up. Then they make poor or no contact.
FrankW80  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2016 11:26:35 AM(UTC)
FrankW80

So this longer cooking time is most likely a age thing. I know that I take longer to get out of bed in the morning as well.
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2016 4:35:01 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

I was thinking its a relay burning out, but I could be wrong.
FrankW80  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 10, 2016 9:31:23 AM(UTC)
FrankW80

As near as I can tell the relay on this oven is on the control board and can't be replaced. Its replace the control board or nothing.
ThatGuy  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 10, 2016 10:48:12 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

Well, there are places that rebuild boards. Or if you're good at soldering, you could find a replacement relay and fix yours. Or you could buy a new board.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply