Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jhqpzjg  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2016 1:32:14 PM(UTC)
jhqpzjg

Groups: Registered

Hi Folks,

Have an Amana gas range model AGS5730BDW. First symptom was that the oven would not quite reach its set temperature, or would take a very long time to do so, intermittently. When I took out the oven bottom to observe the bake element, the igniter would glow, and ignite the gas in the bake element within a reasonable amount of time, probably around 30 seconds or less. The flames on the bake element would 'flutter' along the length of the tube, as if not enough gas was flowing to the element. The element would stay lit, but at what would seem to be only partial capacity. The holes in the element are clean, and without obstruction. Broil element ignites and seems to be operating with full capacity. Range top burners operate normally. Based on info from this forum and others, I replaced the bake igniter, suspecting that it might be 'weak' and not drawing enough current to keep the gas valve open completely. After replacing the igniter, the behavior in the bake element is the same. The gas ignites, but flutters back and forth along the tube. I have a short video (mov) of this behavior but it looks like .mov is not an attachable format.

So what should be my next troubleshooting step? Should I suspect the dual gas valve and replace it? I'd prefer to do more diagnosis rather than just replacing parts, if there's more I should check.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Jason
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.