Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
petersenca45  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2016 1:12:45 PM(UTC)
petersenca45

Groups: Registered

I need some help diagnosing my issue. I have a GE cooktop Model number JP350K0C1CC with a few problems.

I had a broken selector switch (the knob broke off) for the right front burner (RF). In addition, even though the RF burner was stuck in the “small” burner” position, it seemed like it took forever for the burner to heat up, and when it did, it never got really hot.

I replaced the selector switch so now I can choose either the large or small RF burner. The strange thing is that when large is selected, both elements seem to work better, turning red and getting hot right away, although the heat kicks off before the burner gets up to the normal temperature (it VERY slowly gets up to about 180 on medium, where my LF and LR burners get right up to between 215 to 230 on medium). The weird thing is that when I switch the burner selector switch to the small burner, the element turns off and instead will only get to about 110 on medium. I couldn’t figure out how to test the infinity switch, because the leads are different than the other 3 infinity switches.

The RR burner has the opposite problem. When I turn it to low, the temperature goes right up to about medium, and at medium, the temperature is on high. I tested L1 to H1, and L2 to H2 and I have continuity on both when the switch is one, and no continuity on both when the switch is off.

I tried to test my elements, but other than getting continuity on either end of the element on the inside of the burner, I wasn’t sure what to do. If fact, I was confused when I got continuity of both, because I expected resistance according to the wiring diagram. I could not figure out where to stick my probes to get resistance.

Any suggestions on what is broken or what I still need to test and how so I can fix both my RF burner and my RR burner? At $98 for the RF burner, $62 for the RR burner, and switches that are $71 each, I would like to only replace what is broken.

Both a photo of the cooktop with the glass off and the wiring diagram (which was under the glass) are attached to this post. Thank you.
File Attachment(s):
Wiring diagram for stove top.pdf (855kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
petersenca45 attached the following image(s):
File Apr 26, 4 27 53 PM.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.