Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ryancfields  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2016 8:15:32 AM(UTC)
ryancfields

Groups: Registered

Hi, I am Ryan, new to the forum. I have a KitchenAid oven that is starting to act up and having issues with intermittent lighting.

When I turn the oven on, it will light and then shut off within a few seconds. It shuts down anywhere from 3 to 15 seconds later. Often it does not even try to light and just thinks it is still in "bake" mode. Rarely, it does stay lit and runs up to the temperature. I have never let the oven run on its own since it is acting up so not sure if it is able to relight after it reaches temp.

Lighting:
It has a electric spark ignition on the bake and broiler burners. The igniters are clean, and if it gets to the stage where where the gas valve opens, the spark igniters always work and the burner always lights.

Bake / Broil:
Seems to be just isolated to the bake burner. The broil seems to work without issue.

I've noticed it does not relight:
It never tries to re-light after the flame shuts down, the oven thinks it is still running and in "pre-heat". I have let it sit for a few minutes but maybe not long enough for it to "reset" and try again. I will try letting it sit after it shuts down to see.

Gas valve:
I have 8v DC at the gas valve when it is in Bake / Broil. When the oven shuts off I hear a click and 0v at the gas valve. The gas valve appears to be okay as it works whenever it has power.

Condition:
The range is about 4 years old, and in very clean condition. Burners and components are clean and look like new.

Being a DSI (direct spark ignition) system I read that the igniter is also the flame sensor. I can't seem to find a separate flame sensor listed. I did read only 8v DC at the gas valve when measuring for bake and broil which I am not sure if it is low or correct.

Any help or input is appreciated, I think it is pointing to a bad flame sensor but based on how flakey it is, I wanted to see if anyone also though the electronic board may be the culprit.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.