Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sremed  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2015 12:23:24 PM(UTC)
sremed

Groups: Registered

I have a Whirlpool Super Capacity 465 oven, model #[FONT=&quot]RF378LXKQ. The part number for the hinges is [/FONT][FONT=&quot]8053807. Here's the issue.

Everything was fine and then my wife decided to use the self cleaning feature. Afterwards the oven door would open just enough to turn the light on inside and allow heat to escape. The oven would stay closed as long as it was off, but as soon as it heated up inside the light would pop on and the temp would drop.

So I ordered new hinges and installed them. With the new hinges, the door wouldn't even stay closed at all. It actually pops open with about a 1/2" to 3/4" gap. I called a local appliance repair company and they sent out a young kid in his early 20's. He worked on it for 45 minutes and finally threw up his hands and said he had no idea why the door wasn't shutting all the way. According to him the only possible explanation is that the new hinges I received are no good.

I called the company I ordered the hinges from and told them. They assured me the hinges were brand new OEM, but sent me out 2 more hinges anyway. I just received those yesterday and haven't tried to install them yet.

My concern is that it seems odd that 2 brand new hinges would be bad. But aside from the hinges, I can't seem to figure out any other possible reason for the door not closing tightly? There are two pins in the slots that the hinges slide into, and they can only slide in one way. There is no adjustments anywhere on the hinges. So as long as the hinges are seated on the two pins, that's the only way they can be installed - and the door should close?

Any experienced thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2015 5:31:44 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I am not sure if the below will help but click on it and read the Q&A's etc.
Also note that hinges for a painted and a stainless steel unit are different.
I would imagine that they use different springs (tension).
Part number: AP2990242
Part number: AP2990242

I do not know how the oven vent (item 33 in section 03) is hooked up on this unit but if it has any restriction then it could could the door to open when heating up.

Also check for ant warpingthat may have occurred during self clean.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
sremed  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2015 8:13:16 AM(UTC)
sremed

I have some pictures that hopefully might help. The first one is the hinge. I added the red line to show that when the hinge is seated on the pins in the chassis, it can only sit one way. There is no adjustment.
UserPostedImage
The next image shows the pins in the chassis that the hinge slides onto. There doesn't appear to be any adjustments there either, and both sides seem to be in tact.
UserPostedImage
The next image shows the opening without the door. There is no visible or apparent warping anywhere around the opening. All of the seems line up and all the edges are straight.
UserPostedImage
And finally, this is the gap I have at the top when the door is closed. I can push the door completely closed, but it just falls open to the position shown. The tension from the hinge starts at the position shown. It makes no sense.
UserPostedImage
denman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2015 3:25:21 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Sorry but I do not have any additional ideas as everything also looks normal to me except the darn door will not close.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
sremed  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2015 5:26:19 AM(UTC)
sremed

Ha ha. I know. Therein lies the conundrum I'm faced with. Everything does look perfectly normal, except the oven door won't shut tightly. It's getting to the point where the only option might be to buy a whole new range. Unfortunately this is an awesome oven, (aside from the door not staying closed). My wife says it's the best cooking oven she's ever had.

Also, the fact that I can't figure out what is causing the door not to close has gone from a minor repair to a life changing quest. It's driving me nuts because there doesn't appear to be any logical explanation for why it suddenly just won't stay shut.

Thanks for your time anyway.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply