Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
E*M*H  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 1, 2015 11:16:58 AM(UTC)
E*M*H

Groups: Registered

The touch panel display on my oven (about 2 years old) has stopped working. The touch panel itself *does* work. The buttons beep, it turns on the oven, activates the light inside the oven, but the clock area that also shows oven temp, timer, on/off status is blank.

I just had some electrical work done in the house (unrelated to the oven specifically), and breakers were turned off/on repeatedly as part of the job. I am assuming something they did affected the panel. The electrician is skeptical, but has agreed to come back and take a look. I don't expect him to be much help.

If the buttons work, but the display is dead, what is the best course of action?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 2, 2015 3:52:47 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for GW397LXUS - AppliancePartsPros.com

Sounds like the control board (item 15 in section 01) is shot.

This would not be the fault of your electrician.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
E*M*H  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 2, 2015 7:23:49 AM(UTC)
E*M*H

Thanks for the reply and the links - after further research, I was coming to the same conclusion.

So do you think that the fact that the control board went dead the same day the electrician was cutting/restoring power throughout the house is completely unrelated (a coincidence) or you think it probably is related, but it's still not his fault? We've had plenty of weather-related power outages where the electricity goes out/comes back on randomly, with no adverse affects to the oven.

I'm just trying to get a handle on the cause, so I can prevent it from happening again, if possible.
denman  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 2, 2015 7:50:26 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
It could just be a coincidence or related to shutting the power off/on.

Boards do not like power cuts but it may not cause a problem for 100 times and then on the 101st time it blows the board.

Also I do not know what work they were doing.
It could be they caused a power spike on the line but I would have thought that this would have also blown other appliances / electronics.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
E*M*H  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 2, 2015 9:38:44 AM(UTC)
E*M*H

Well, nothing else blown, but my modem was reset to factory default settings as if it just came out of the box - SSID name, security settings - all wiped.

A power spike seems likely to me, and I will see what the electrician thinks when he returns.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply