Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
_jackstraw_  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2015 11:14:19 AM(UTC)
_jackstraw_

Groups: Registered

I have a Viking double oven (electric) and have had some consistent problems with both ovens. The top oven seems to burn food easily. The bottom oven seems to under cook things a bit. The bottom line is, the two ovens behave very differently when they're supposed to be the same. We end up not using the bottom oven and under set the temperature on the top oven and expect that things will cook faster than average. I'd like to fix them so they both behave as they should.

The first thing I did was check the heating elements themselves. After turning on the oven, the heating elements get consistently hot (glowing orange). Also they convection fan seems to be operating as expected. So next I wanted to test the sensor & thermostats. On this model it looks like the two are hard wired together, so when you purchase a new thermostat, it has the sensor attached.

I put an oven thermometer on the middle rack of each oven and tested both "bake" and "convection bake."

TOP OVEN:
Temp set; Bake; Conv Bake
200; 250; 275
300; 340; 375
350; 400; 450
400; 475; 500
450; 525; 540

BOTTOM OVEN:
Temp set; Bake; Conv Bake
200; 225; 225
300; 275; 320
350; 350; 355
400; 400; 425
450; 450; 455

Based on these results, it seems that the top oven consistently runs quite hot (50 degrees on bake and up to 100 degrees on conv bake). Can this thermostat be calibrated? Or does it need to be replaced? Is replacing the thermostat & sensor difficult? I would say my handyman skills are above average.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.