Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DanMcD  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2015 6:14:56 AM(UTC)
DanMcD

Groups: Registered

I have a very technical question about an LG range LRE3083ST which I think applies to other ranges as well. I want to know if the hidden bake element, when it burns out, still has power going through the element even when I turn off the oven at the control panel?

A lot of times when these elements burn out, the outer case of the element part is cracked and melted…..but it does not completely break in half right away. What happens is this: it exposes the inside of the element which begins to burn away for a long period of time until the entire element then breaks in half. This is the situation that I am referring.

I am asking this because I can’t see the element that is hidden and, on my old Maytag range that had an exposed bake element, it would keep burning away like a sparkler when it broke, even thought I turned off the oven at the control panel. I had to unplug the range before it would stop glowing. I was told this happens because there is still 110 volts of electricity running through the element even when the oven is turned off.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2015 6:49:51 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I cannot find info on the given model number so the below is just general info.

As far as power to the element when it is shut off at the control board.
It depends if the unit has a DLB relay (double line break). If it does then the control board disconnects one side of the element (usually L1) and the DLB relay disconnects the other side (usually L2).

I am asking this because I can’t see the element that is hidden and, on my old Maytag range that had an exposed bake element, it would keep burning away like a sparkler when it broke, even thought I turned off the oven at the control panel.I was told this happens because there is still 110 volts of electricity running through the element even when the oven is turned off.
The element burning like a sparkler when the oven is shut off at the control board can only happen if the element has also somehow grounded itself.
The part about the 110 being on one side of the element is true but the element must ground,touch the oven compartment,frame to complete the circuit.

Just in case you do not know I will try to explain the electrical for an stove.

The 240 volts coming into your house is actually two 120 volt supplies that share a common Neutral. They are 180 degrees out of phase so when one is at positive 120 volts, the other is at negative 120 volts so when you measure between them you get 240 volts (L1 to L2).
This is the power that supplies the heating elements.
Things like the control board, oven lights etc. usually run off of 120 volts so they use the L1 to Neutral side of the line.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply