Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tswatek  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2015 8:02:46 AM(UTC)
tswatek

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Monogram LP gas range, model ZGU385LSM1SS. My girlfriend was cleaning it a few days ago and had a knob removed to clean under it. Suddenly, the igniters all started sparking continuously followed by a whiff of plastic-smelling smoke and some light crackling sound from the hole where the knob attaches. And the red LED light was flickering. I blew on it, but that seemed to make it worse. I suspect that some water from her paper towel dripped in and created an electrical short.

Afterward, none of the knobs worked to initiate igniter sparks when I turned them on. I unplugged it for a while and the next day I plugged it in and the igniters sparked normally and everything worked fine, including the one that smoked.

Now, today, none of the knobs initiate igniter sparks. I Checked the circuit breaker and it's not triggered. I unplugged the cooktop and plugged it back in, but that didn't work this time. The instruction manual doesn't mention having a fuse, but it seems like no power is getting to the unit at all.

I can turn a knob and light it with a wand lighter and it burns properly so it's not a gas issue. In looking at the cooktop schematics on this site, it seems like the likely cause would be either a fried "Switch Harness" or "Harness with LED Assembly" since both are right where the smoke came from the far right knob (right-front burner). How do I diagnose the problem so I know which part to buy? Ideas?

Below pic shows where the crackling sound and whiff of smoke came from.

UserPostedImage

In case it helps, my issue is somewhat similar to this one I've linked to below, though it's not really the same since this other member spilled what sounds like an abundance of water in the middle and not just a likely drop of water into the knob hole, like us.

http://forum.appliancepartspros...nitors-stop-working.html
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.