Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TheFwGuy  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2014 6:08:20 AM(UTC)
TheFwGuy

Groups: Registered

Hi, I hope somebody can help me with the a suggestion.

yesterday I had the bake element melted.
A piece of the resistance become so hot that melted and then touched the bottom of the oven.
When that happened there was a kind of small explosion and a very strong electric current noise, until the piece was totally melted and felt down on the bottom of the oven.

I'm planning to change the bake element, however I wonder if there are some other possible problems.
For example, is it something that can happen or maybe there was a faulty thermostat that kept the resistor on too long ?
I was unable to find a thermostat for that oven so my fear is that I could end up to have the new bake element melted too.

Any suggestion ?

Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving !
STeve
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2014 6:55:10 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for GE RB787WH1WW Range - AppliancePartsPros.com

[COLOR="Blue"]A piece of the resistance become so hot that melted and then touched the bottom of the oven.
When that happened there was a kind of small explosion and a very strong electric current noise, until the piece was totally melted and felt down on the bottom of the oven.[/COLOR]
Not sure I understand the above.
Did it sag and touch the oven floor and then spark or did just a small piece blow up and then the element dropped down and touched the floor.
How big of a piece?
Was it close to or part of one of the support feet?
Where on the element did it blow?

[COLOR="Blue"]I'm planning to change the bake element, however I wonder if there are some other possible problems.
For example, is it something that can happen or maybe there was a faulty thermostat that kept the resistor on too long ?[/COLOR]
Is possible or the relay contacts on the control board that control that element maybe welded together.
This you could check by unplugging the unit and checking across the contacts with a meter. Should be infinite ohms. If 0 ohms they are welded together. You will have to trace the wires as I do not have access to GE tech data so cannot tell you where to check.

[COLOR="Blue"]I was unable to find a thermostat for that oven so my fear is that I could end up to have the new bake element melted too.[/COLOR]
It does not use a thermostat. It uses an oven sensor and then the control board runs the elements.
Perhaps the following will help.
http://www.applianceaid.com/ele...ic-range-repair-help.php

Note that often when this happens the voltage spike damages the control board.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
TheFwGuy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2014 7:22:16 AM(UTC)
TheFwGuy

Hi !

Thank you for the answer

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post

Not sure I understand the above.
Did it sag and touch the oven floor and then spark or did just a small piece blow up and then the element dropped down and touched the floor.

I didn't witness when happened, my educated guess is that it did sag and somehow the live part touched the oven floor, causing the big sparks and the strong noise for a good 10-15 seconds before to stop.

Quote:

How big of a piece?
Was it close to or part of one of the support feet?
Where on the element did it blow?

3-4 inches is the gap I can measure in the bake element. It was 1 inch close to the first support. It melted between the oven connection and the first support on the right.

Quote:

Is possible or the relay contacts on the control board that control that element maybe welded together.
This you could check by unplugging the unit and checking across the contacts with a meter.

Good tip, I'll do the measurement asap

Quote:

It does not use a thermostat. It uses an oven sensor and then the control board runs the elements.
[...]
Note that often when this happens the voltage spike damages the control board.

I hope not.
OK, I'm going to take apart the oven and do some measurement.
Then I'll decide if is worth to repair or if is time for a new range :)
I don't know how old it is, sure more than 10 years.

Thanks !!

I'l post my findings !

STeve
TheFwGuy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2014 7:45:37 AM(UTC)
TheFwGuy

Quick update.
The ohmmeter indicate infinite, so the relay seems not melted.
I'm placing the oven in safety and I'll see if turning on the oven I found 220V on the two wires of the bake element.
One of the two faston, that connect the wire to the bake element, was broken, probably melted as well.
Are normal faston or do I have to look for special ones ? Or I should try to replace the entire wire that from the relay goes to the element ?

The basic question is ... is it worth to repair it ? :)

Again, many thanks for any suggestion.

---------------------------
Update.
The electronic and relay seems working fine.
I can measure the 250V on the bake element wires, I can distinctly hear the relay going on and off. It remains the doubt about the temperature feedback but at this point is probably worth to try to change the bake element that I'll order in few minutes.
The other doubt is about the faston.
The original fastons are connected with an industrial machine, I can only crimp a new one hoping it will resist to the high temperatures.
Unless somebody can suggest me where to by a pre-crimped wire I guess I'll have to improvise.

Thanks

STeve
denman  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2014 11:13:51 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
For the connection I like to use the type that has a brass insert and then a hard bakelite/plastic (not sure what material it is) cover that screws on over the brass connector once you tighten down the scew on the wires.
See the below type.
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/22-set-screw-4-pk/860143

As long as the wire insulation is OK and you can cut it back till you get to nice clean copper it should be OK.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
TheFwGuy  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2014 1:04:08 PM(UTC)
TheFwGuy

I see, but I was talking about fastons, like this one :
http://www.heilind.com/marketin...STON_receptacle_conn.gif

I have fastons around but what I have has a plastic cap over the crimp area, I'm sure it would melt. So I need to find a "all metal" faston hoping that the manual crimp will hold the high temperature. But I'm sure I will manage.
The wire is still in good condition.

Thank you so much for the help ! I ordered a new bake element and in a couple of days I'll try to fix the oven.
I'll post the final result.

Happy Thanksgiving !

STeve
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply