Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WiiGame  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2014 12:06:50 PM(UTC)
WiiGame

Groups: Registered

Here's throwdown, folks ... anyone have an educated guess for this stumper?

The wall ovens came with the house; we're in 3yrs; these are probably the originals from the late 90s. House lost power the night before vacation -- several offs and ons. Then, without trying to use them again, we turned off the wall ovens at the breaker as part leaving.

Come back to find that the oven won't heat anymore. Clock has power. Oven light comes on. Controls appear to work. I even hear a loud click from the top oven that sounds (to me) like a thermostat trying to activate the element. Then, nothing. None of the 4 elements heat on any setting: Bake (any temp), Broil, Clean (the door even locks) ... but no heat.

So, the oven is getting power, a search for parts doesn't return any internal fuses, a problem with 1 element shouldn't affect all 4 at once, and the thermostat appears to be trying to work (in my non-professional opinion).

What could it be and/or how does one go about narrowing this one down?

P.S. - Wife's pressuring me to get this done ASAP, esp. for the 1yr old's party next weekend. Any quick reply will be appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

WiiGame  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 8:29:26 AM(UTC)
WiiGame

Groups: Registered

After researching this even more deeply and discovering that the 2 ovens are basically completely separate systems, I was led to the only thing they really share: electricity.

After more research in that direction, I found that the double breaker for the wall ovens was loose, particularly on the top 1/2 which only returned 15V on a meter. After thinking I needed a new breaker, it turns out just forcing it down really hard to snap it firmly into place did the trick. Also turns out most of my breakers on that side were loose and have probably been that way for a long, long time (just not loose enough to cause a problem) ... possibly since this house was built.

In the end, I exacerbated an existing problem I never knew about by using the breaker, which brought the problem to light (and took A LOT of my time to figure out).

Thanks esp. to TheElectricalDoctor for his "Checking for a Bad Breaker" vid (and his other related vids) on YouTube.

So the main lessons learned here were:
1) low voltage is a possibility when a large appliance appears to have power but still does not function properly
2) breakers can require a lot of force to seat correctly
3) breakers can go bad
4) breakers have types; some (or 1) fit(s) your panel; others don't
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply