Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Canuck5535  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 30, 2013 12:31:45 PM(UTC)
Canuck5535

Groups: Registered

I hate this oven. Years ago, we had problems with the self-clean cooking itself and locking up. One new control, a second lock-up and GE solving it by selling us a new oven for $700.... and I still don't trust it. Now it's a new problem.

The oven turns itself off during the bake cycle after just a few minutes of reaching 400 degrees plus. It will run forever on warm (~250) but anything hotter and it'll go down. There is no code showing... it just displays the time as though its off.

I replaced the oven control but that did not fix the problem. I understand that if it was the temperature probe, I'd get an error code, so I'm doubting that. That would only leave the touch pad, or the 'panel control tape' as it's called, correct?

Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Canuck5535  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:27:05 PM(UTC)
Canuck5535

So in an effort to help anyone else who may have this same problem, here's how I fixed it. I first replaced the oven control ($182) as everything I read pointed me in that direction. However, that wasn't it and Sears Parts direct was kind enough to take it back. So a local repair place said "if it's not the oven control, then it most likely is the touch pad". So I replaced that to a tune of $330. At the same time, I replaced the three upper limit switches on this unit. But this didn't fix it either. The switches I had to keep ($20 total) while Sears took the touch pad back (this company is GREAT!!). I was at wits end, so in desperation, I ordered an oven sensor..... ($11.97 from Sears). And what do you know... it's been at 450 degrees for an hour now and it's still going, and I'm just about to declare victory. EVERYTHING I read on-line said nope, that can't be it, because I would have an error code if it was the sensor. But clearly, that's the problem. Out of all of this, I learned a valuable lesson..... start with the cheap stuff and work your way up, instead of the other way around.
Jordan G  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2020 3:25:31 PM(UTC)
Jordan G

United States

Thank you so much for your post! My oven was also shutting off when I had it set at a high temperature for about 20 minutes. Mine is a GE Profile pt916sr2ss. The display panel also displayed incorrectly as the oven turned itself off. I could get it to turn back on by letting it cool and turning the power off and on at the breaker but then it would turn itself off again as soon as it was hot.

>>Replacing the sensor fixed the issue<<
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply