Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rpleines  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 3:28:24 PM(UTC)
rpleines

Groups: Registered

A friend has never baked in her ovens because bottoms (cookies, cake, bread) always burned. Service people checked the ovens and determined she didn't know how to operate the controls. I checked the temperature at 300 deg with two dial thermometers and found the actual temperature at 350 plus deg on both ovens. Further checking the next day, showed at 400 deg set point, the actual temperature was 320 on the bottom oven.

The temperature readout on the panel is not accurate and the actual temperature will swing 30 plus deg, while the readout remains constant. Is there a way to check the probes and calibrate the units? Anyone have any ideas how to improve the temperature readout accuracy.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 17, 2013 12:41:42 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here is the operators manual.
http://www.maytag.com/webapp/wc...gId=-1&storeId=10212

It has the procedure to calibrate the ovens.
It is only plus/minus 25 degrees.

Looks like the unit has a cooling fan, does it come on?
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
rpleines  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 17, 2013 5:26:38 AM(UTC)
rpleines

Groups: Registered

Thanks for your response. It sounds like the fan goes on - it was hard to tell if it was venting out the bottom, since the ovens were still hot. When I pop the panel cover, I'll check. I actually have the manual. It allows adjusting the temp readout -/+ 35 deg. I set it to -35 deg, because the first tests showed the ovens were 50 deg high and explained the burnt baking.

I was hoping for a way to Check/adjust the calibration of the thermal couple circuit, because the temperature accuracy on both ovens is so far off. I know the probe does not read the actual temperature properly. I had the lower oven reading pretty close at 300 deg using -35 deg adjustment. It made a perfect batch of cookies. Tried for brownies at 350 and actual temperature went 310 deg. It looks like once the set point is reached, the panel holds that temperature and the probe reads what it thinks it sees, but won't show it. I bumped the temp set to 400 to see what the probe was reading and it was on 380 - not the actual 310.

It's almost like the 300 set point is accurate now, but the span is off, making small changes appear large. Bottom line is the probes are not working correctly. If there is a way to correct/improve this, the oven performance should be much better.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply