Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vfrclark  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 6, 2013 5:42:20 AM(UTC)
vfrclark

Groups: Registered

Hi all,

I have a Jenn-air Dual Fuel Double oven where the bottom oven won't bake. It happened during cooking thanksgiving dinner. The lower oven was hot for a while, but then it just stopped working. It will Broil. The top oven works fine. The oven thermometer tests to 1200 Ohms. I have replaced the oven control unit, but still the thing won't work. At this point I'm thinking it may just be a bad element? when it tries to pre-heat there it makes some "clicking" sounds from the control panel, but I can't remember if that is normal or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

vfrclark  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 6, 2013 1:32:26 PM(UTC)
vfrclark

Well I looked a little closer. When I set it to bake (or convect bake). I can hear the relay click on, but then it clicks off in less than a second. I think the element is getting a tiny bit of power, because after 45 min of pre-heat the temp made it up to 215. I'm now thinking it might not be the element, but I have no idea what to do.
denman  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 6, 2013 11:56:27 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Maytag JDR8895BAB13 Range - AppliancePartsPros.com

If the unit shows it is ready then it is probably a control board or an oven sensor problem.

If the oven stays in preheat, then it could be just a bad element.
The unit switches back and forth between the bake and broil elements during preheat and bake so that is why you do get some heat.

Remove power from the unit.
Undo and pull the bake element into the oven cavity.
Be careful you do not want to knock a wire off of it.
Measure it with a meter.
Should be around 20 ohms.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
vfrclark  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 8, 2013 4:43:27 AM(UTC)
vfrclark

Thanks Denman,

I measured it with the element out, but not disconnected. I got 4 Ohms. (which is about the same as when I put the leads directly together)

So does this make you think bad element?
denman  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 8, 2013 4:52:33 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Something is weird.
If it measures the same as when the meter leads are connected together then that is a dead short and should blow the house wiring circuit breaker.

I would disconnect one side if the element and re-measure it.
Clip something (clothes pin etc.) onto the wire so that it does not disappear into the back of the oven.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
JeanneJ  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 8, 2013 3:03:27 PM(UTC)
JeanneJ

I'm having the exact same problem as the last post. My double oven broke while I was cooking the turkey for Thanksgiving. The lower oven will not heat up when entering bake. It sounds like it's preheating but only heats up to about 215 degrees. It makes the click sound. When turning on convection roast or convection bake it will turn the fan on but won't heat up to even 300 degree's. Where do I find the serial number? It's only 1-4 years old I believe.
JeanneJ  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 8, 2013 3:11:44 PM(UTC)
JeanneJ

I'm having the exact same problem and my oven too broke down(stopped working) as i was cooking our turkey for Thanksgiving dinner with a house full of people! Mine is a dual fuel double oven, the bake, convection bake and convection roast will not heat past about 200.It preheats, makes the click, click sound. Only the broiler works. The top oven works fine.What's wrong with it? it's only about 1-5 years old. Where do I find the serial number?
vfrclark  
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 8, 2013 5:51:52 PM(UTC)
vfrclark

I took the element completely out, measured it, and there was no continuity.

I think when I was measuring the element while still in the oven I was faulting against the back wall of the oven.

JeanneJ if you have a Jenn-air oven there is a little flip up bar behind the clock that has the serial number and model number. Just reach back there and it raises up to the side. There is also a little bag with a wiring diagram, but it is not helpful.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply