Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kmcbride85  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2013 7:16:37 AM(UTC)
kmcbride85

Groups: Registered

Hello! I have a Whirlpool electric range model #GY397LXUS03 one year old. I started a self clean cycle (first time) and 30 min into it realized I didnt remove the temperature probe, which my vague manual says is necessary on SOME models. So I stopped cycle and had husband remove once cooled down. Hours later I tried to start clean cycle again but I get a series of three beeps when I push self clean button and also my oven light doesnt work. When the sensor is plugged back into oven all functions work again. I called Whirlpooland after 25 minutes of holding learned there was no tech I could speak with and all the guy did was research my question (if I should remove probe or not) and told me oven heats to 800 and he thinks that would destroy probe but couldnt ansnwer why functions dont work without probe plugged in. I dont want to destroy a $60 part. I just want to know the opinion of someone who actually knows about appliances, not some phone operator checking a computer. Thanks! -Kim
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:59:19 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
If by temperature probe you mean the oven sensor, I have never heard of removing it for self clean.

Are you sure that they are not referring to a meat probe.
Your model may not even have this option as I cannot find anything related to this accessory in the part breakdowns.

The functions will not work with the oven sensor disconnected because the control board thinks that the oven is way too hot.
The probe resistance goes up as temperature rises so a disconnected sensor is infinite resistance re: oven way too hot.

I do know that they recommend removing the oven racks.

Usually an open or disconnected oven sensor will give an error on the display but I cannot find any tech data on this unit so cannot say for sure that it will do this.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
kmcbride85  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2013 6:39:02 AM(UTC)
kmcbride85

Groups: Registered

Denman, im positive it isnt a meat probe. Im sure its just a temp sensor. I dont know what the manual means by temp probe but it definitely doesnt work with it removed. Just wanted to be sure before I ran the cycle. Thank you for your help!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply