Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Absy  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2013 4:01:50 PM(UTC)
Absy

Groups: Registered

Greetings.

I have a KitchenAid Architect II Slide in Range. Its about 3.5 years old and is a great stove/oven. I cook just about 6 days a week 365 days a year. Model # KGSS907SSS01. A couple of days ago I decided to use the self cleaning oven option on the range for the very first time. In the past I always just scrubbed it by hand with lung burning cleaners. As most self cleaning ovens its a 4 hour process. 2 hours into the cleaning mode I notice that the touch pad was blank. Hmmm I thought maybe was this part of the process. Well it never came back on and the oven door stayed in lock mode. Well being a jack of all trades I did some quick research and found someone on youtube that had a similar model KA that is a wall oven but had the exact same problem. He showed me on the video how to jimmy the door open with a coat hanger which worked for me. Then he proceeded to take the oven a part and located the oven shut down fuse in the back of the stove. Turned out for him it was another fuse called a control thermal fuse. He replaced and life was good. OK so I started taking my range a part to see if I could fine any of these fuse's. Yes Located the one in the back of the range then 2 more right behind the touch pad. I removed all 3. I checked them with a fluke meter. First for continuity then I set it to the Ohms setting. I found that the one fuse behind the range had continuity and read 0.1 on the ohms meter. Then one of the fuses behind the touch pad also had continuity and read about 0.6 and the last one had no continuity and gave me know reading on the meter. OK I brought them down to a local appliance part store and they also tested all 3 fuses and found the same thing I did. So I purchased the new $80 dollar fuse. It was a genuine whirlpool part and locked exactly the same as the bad fuse. Oh by the way yes the burners on top of the range work fine. OK so I put it all back together and plugged it back in and NOTHING. Touch pad is still out so of course I can't use the oven part of the stove. What did i miss. Is their perhaps another fuse somewhere. Could the touch pad have burnt out. How can I tell, what can I do. Please help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Absy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 9, 2013 9:30:45 AM(UTC)
Absy

Any experts out there ?
Absy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 10, 2013 2:40:24 PM(UTC)
Absy

OK so after talking to a tech here at AP. I am finding that now its more then just a fuse. Remember I already replaced an $80 dollar fuse. Now it seems its the whole board I need to replace. A $340.00 dollar item just for trying to clean my oven. Can't even get KitchenAid to answer the phone. I find this not to be fair. I need to shell out $340.00 bucks for using a feature that come with the stove. Geez. Not fair. Like your car breaking down for turning on cruise control. No justice.
Absy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 5:17:57 AM(UTC)
Absy

Well I was excited to get a package in the mail yesterday. New Control panel is here. Easy install. 2 screws and a few wire adapters to push and pull. OK so 10 mins later still nothing. $340 bucks later and still nothing and no resident techs in this forum board to help me. Hands in the air. I still feel there is a control panel thermal fuse somewhere. Anyone help. Please
Appliance Ninja  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:51:25 AM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

I am sorry you have not had any replies in this forum. I can help you. What was the part number of the control that you replaced, please?
Absy  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:06:53 AM(UTC)
Absy

Control Board #9762794
Appliance Ninja  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:13:03 AM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

Thank you, that is just the user interface board, it is not your problem. The fuse that you replaced because it tested open, was it mounted on the LH side, behind that board?
Absy  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:16:40 AM(UTC)
Absy

When facing the stove and taking off the front part. Behind the knobs and control panel. There are 2 fuses. Yes Facing the stove its on the left side.
Appliance Ninja  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:24:17 AM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

That is correct. The one on the left should read open at room temperature. That is a thermostat for the cooling fan. It closes when the temperature increases to power the cooling fan. So, you will definitely want to replace that with the correct thermostat, available below.

Whirlpool 9759944 Thermostat, Fix - AppliancePartsPros.com

As for the dead oven, there are two parts that may be bad, given that the the other two fuses you tested show closed. There is a control transformer and the appliance manager board. One of those has failed. The transformer receives 120 VAC through the thermal fuses, then turns that AC voltage into DC voltage to power the electronics. So, since the thermal fuses tested good, we can assume it is getting power. That means it is not changing that power to feed the control board or the board is bad. It is much more likely that the board is faulty. It is mounted under the cook top, on top of the oven that gets very hot in the clean cycle (>850* F!), which, in my opinion, is a very ignorant place to mount a delicate control encased in a plastic housing! Do you have a meter to test voltage with?
Absy  
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:38:32 AM(UTC)
Absy

OK the fuse in question I did replace with one that I got at a local appliance part shop. At that time I did take out all 3 fuses. The 2 behind the control panel and the one behind the oven that I access from the back. I tested them myself with a fluke meter yes that I have. Then I brought them to the appliance store and they also did the same test I did and told me what I already concluded that the LH side fuse seemed bad. So I did get a new one from them which was a Whirlpool part ofcourse. Also as stated I did replace the control board itself. So that leaves me with checking what and how ?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply