Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ANiforos  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:14:51 AM(UTC)
ANiforos

Groups: Registered

UserPostedImage I purchased the above listed GE gas slide in range in 1992 or 1993 when I built my house. It was retrofitted at the time for use with propane gas as I do not have natural gas in my area.

Several years ago, with the help of this website I purchased (from this website) a new clock/timer unit and replaced it myself. It was a rather involved job, but I saved myself tons of money. Thanks for the assistance.

Several years after I installed this oven, it started taking a long time to preheat and it was also making an air rushing sound intermittently as it was heating up. I called GE and a GE Service Tech arrived. He removed what he needed to remove to get to the burner area in the bottom of the oven. He showed me where the burner has an open end that has an orifice screwed onto the gas line in the bottom right corner of the oven bottom. He then removed the burner and showed me how the open end of the burner fit over that little copper orifice. He then unscrewed the orifice and showed me how the little hole had trash in it. He cleaned out the trash, but everything back together and it worked fine for the next few years. He had told me that propane gas it dirtier than natural gas and this was a common problem.

A couple of times over the last few years I have had the same preheat problem with the air rushing sound. I would remove that orifice and all would be fine for the next year or two.

So lately the oven has been taking a long time to preheat, so I started the previously mentioned procedure to clean out the orifice and found it to be clean. I took my portable air compressor and very carefully shot a little bit of air into the tube where the orifice screwed onto the tube. Shortly thereafter I began hearing a little leak coming from the tube where I shot a little compressed air into. I put my finger over the tube and the sound stopped. I removed my finger and it began again to leak. I immediately went to the basement and shut off the gas line leading to the stove. Upon returning upstairs, the sound of the leak had stopped.

Should I start looking for a replacement stove? I'm guessing I did some damage by using the compressed air, even though I just shot a little bit from a distance. I'm thinking of calling a service tech to see if it is worth it to have it repaired. Anyone have any comments or thoughts on this.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.