Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cjlogan@gmail.com  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 6:33:01 PM(UTC)
cjlogan@gmail.com

Groups: Registered

My Bosch electric oven will no longer pre-heat properly after the bake element was accidentally shorted when a metal cover that is part of the back panel was placed inside the cover and connected one of the 220 power terminals to one side of the bake element. :eek:

When pre-heating, the oven will only go up to about 280F, then stays at that temp. I have not tried verifying that is the actual temp with an oven thermometer; however, I have tried baking a banana bread and it would not cook as if it was set too low.

I can use the broil element to heat the oven, then turn off the broil element and turn the bake element back on to 350F. The temp will read somewhere around 450F at first, but will eventually go down.

With the power off, I have disconnected the bake and broil elements and tested the resistance of them with a multimeter. The bake element was 28 ohms and the broil element was 17 ohms.

The connector between the power and the bake element was partially melted, but I bought a new one and replaced it.

I was leaning towards replacing the bake element until I tested its resistance. It doesn't seem really high; however, it is definitely higher than the broil element. Lastly, I don't see any damage on the control board.

Any suggestions?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:16:28 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I cannot find any info on this unit.

[COLOR="Blue"]I was leaning towards replacing the bake element until I tested its resistance. It doesn't seem really high; however, it is definitely higher than the broil element.[/COLOR]
Having different resistances is normal.
The bake element looks like 2,000 watts and the broil 3,300 watts approximately.
I would sya your elements are OK.

[COLOR="Blue"] Lastly, I don't see any damage on the control board.[/COLOR]
The control board is the most likely blown part. A voltage spike in the unit often blows transistors etc. on the board and there will not be any visual indication that they are bad.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
cjlogan@gmail.com  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:48:17 AM(UTC)
cjlogan@gmail.com

[COLOR="Blue"]The control board is the most likely blown part. A voltage spike in the unit often blows transistors etc. on the board and there will not be any visual indication that they are bad.[/COLOR]
First of all, thanks for the quick reply.

Given that the oven still works in general, but only the bake preheat function isn't working properly, does that mean that only a small part of the control board is bad? Having said that, it looks like the control board is all one piece and would need to be replaced as a whole.
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2013 4:42:36 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"]Given that the oven still works in general, but only the bake preheat function isn't working properly, does that mean that only a small part of the control board is bad?[/COLOR]
Yes.

[COLOR="Blue"] Having said that, it looks like the control board is all one piece and would need to be replaced as a whole.[/COLOR]
it has to be replaced as a whole.

Manufacturers do not publish schematics for circuit boards so unless the fault is obvious they cannot be repaired by DIYers.
cjlogan@gmail.com  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2013 5:39:06 AM(UTC)
cjlogan@gmail.com

[COLOR="Blue"]it has to be replaced as a whole.[/COLOR]
Is is realistic that I, as a non-professional, could replace the entire control board if I got a new one?
denman  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:43:41 AM(UTC)
denman

On most units I would say that yes you could replace it but I cannot find any info on this unit so cannot say that.

If you can figure out how to get at it then you should not have a problem replacing it.

Just be sure that the power to the unit is off when working on it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply