Discuss

Tappan oven is heating higher than set point

in

Oven Repair (including Ranges and Cooktops)

. "

Tappan model # 30-4952-00/02 is heating higher than set point causing burning of food. Is it the temp sensor? Thanks

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Oven Repair (including Ranges and Cooktops) » Tappan oven is heating higher than set point

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 08:45 PM

Burntfood is on a distinguished road
Default Tappan oven is heating higher than set point
Brand: Tappan   Age: More than 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Tappan model # 30-4952-00/02 is heating higher than set point causing burning of food. Is it the temp sensor?
Thanks

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 07-26-2013, 09:07 PM

HumboldtRepairMan is on a distinguished road

Heat up the oven to 350 pull the temp sensor connector off in the back and take an ohm reading on the probe you should have around 15-16 ohms if you dont then more then likely it's the temp sensor....
Old 07-27-2013, 09:52 AM

Burntfood is on a distinguished road
Default Tappan

Thanks.
A troubelshooting guide on another website stated that most temp sensors run 1000 to 1100 ohms at room temp.
The Tappan temp sensor showed 1108 ohms at room temp which would be in line (if the sensor is one the types listed on the troubleshooting site.) I heated it up with a lighter and it seemed to read linear with the heat added and removed. When I turn the oven on it just keeps heating so I cant set a temperature. Thats the problem with the range. The oven stays on constantly. It doesn't regulate. I feel it's the clock/control board.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:50 PM

HumboldtRepairMan is on a distinguished road

The trick with temp probes is that you have to test them at various tempatures to get an accurate diagnosis don't ever go by just room temp that's why i recommended 350 then test. Good luck yeah if it checks out at 350 i would possibly suspect main board as well but a bad temp sensor can make the oven stay on for a long time. Also take in mind some units will heat up to around 75 degrees over the tempature you set then about 10-15 minutes later it will gradually work it's way down to the temp. Also some units can be between 25-50 degrees off depending on how cheap the unit is and that's just normal unfortunately.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.