Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jralph  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 7, 2009 9:00:37 AM(UTC)
jralph

Groups: Registered

I came home one day and the display on the oven was dead. Checked the breaker, it was ok. Pulled the oven out of the wall and verified that power was coming to it. I had a repair company come in who replaced the control board. That did not fix the problem. They now want to replace the membrane for the control. Could it possibly be the control transformer that is the problem. HOw would I go about troubleshooting this problem further myself?
Any help would be appreciated
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 8, 2009 3:47:58 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL KEBC207KSS05 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is the parts breakdown
http://www.servicematters.com/d...0Sheet%20-%208302066.pdf

You will notice that the control board has a thermal fuse in it's power supply connection. I could not find this in the parts breakdown perhaps you will have better luck. This may even be built into the wire (with a piece of heat shrink over it) that goes from P19-1 to L1.
Remove power from the unit and check this line for continuity Should be 0 ohms. Remember to disconnect one side of the wire to ensure that you do not read an alternate/parallel circuit path.

I would check that you have the correct power going to the unit 240 volts from L1 to L2 and 120 volts L1 to Neutral also L2 to Neutral.
Note that the board's power supply gets power from L1 to Neutral (120volts). Sometimes you can loose Neutral without actually tripping the breaker.

Check that the secondary of the power transformer is 23 volts AC.

Another thing to try is to disconnect the keypad and try it usually the control will at least light up something with the keypad disconnected

Be careful 240 volts is lethal.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
jralph  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 8, 2009 5:15:06 AM(UTC)
jralph

Checked contiunuity across the fuse and it is good. One thing that I did notice is that the transformer is showing nothing acrross the Line terminals and 2.2 Ohms across the load terminals.
Tried disconnecting the keypad ans still had nothing.
I will check the power going to the control tonight as specified in your response.
I really appreciate the help!
Joe
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 8, 2009 5:46:13 AM(UTC)
denman

One thing that I did notice is that the transformer is showing nothing acrross the Line terminals and 2.2 Ohms across the load terminals.
Then I would say that you problem is here, you should see continuity across the transformers line terminals.

PS: I also noticed i mislabeled the second link, it should be a tech sheet, guess I should have had another cup of coffee before getting on-line.
jralph  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:19:56 PM(UTC)
jralph

Here was the solution. Replacing the control board did not solve the problem, so I had to dig further. I tested the control panel transformer with the power on noticed that it was getting 120 Volts on the primary terminals and nothing on the secondary. I swapped the transformer and found that the secondary was now showind 26 Volts output (which is correct). Plugged everything back in and we were all set. Thanks to denman for helping me sort the whole thing out.
denman  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:52:14 AM(UTC)
denman

Glad you found it.
You are a better tech than the plug and chug jockey who replaced the control board.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply