Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hemmyd  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:54:23 PM(UTC)
hemmyd

Groups: Registered

Originally my oven just stopped heating up in Bake, Broil and Convection. After reading several forums I checked the following: The oven had 240, the thermal breaker was not tripped, the elements had continuity. So it was determined to replace the EOC Board. I ordered from Appliance Pro and installed. The oven started heating just fine, but when I would turn it off, the fan randomly turns on and the oven will stay hot . I thought the fan was possibly trying to cool the oven down quickly, something it never did with the original EOC board. Unfortunately it never cools and I have to kill the breaker to get the oven to stop heating. Appliance Pro figured the board was defective and sent a 2nd one. It is in and doing the same thing. I even took a picture of the original wiring along with a wiring schematic to make sure the EOC boards were installed properly. Where do we go from here???
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 3:57:21 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here is the wiring diagram
http://manuals.frigidaire.com/p...assomption/318046224.pdf

Since the oven keeps on heating I would find out which element is staying on.
Also is the entire element heating or is just part of it.
The reason this is important is that sometimes an element can short to the frame/case/ground. This part of the element will then heat all the time as it has 120 volts across that part of the element. Often it is at the feet/support for the element.

I would recheck your wiring using the wiring diagram.
Also check all wire to/from the lements etc to be sure that one of them is not shorting out.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
hemmyd  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 8:05:33 AM(UTC)
hemmyd

I should mention the oven doesn't start heating until the bake degrees has been turned on which if the element was shorting wouldn't it always be heating? This problem occurs especially at higher temperatures like above 375.
hemmyd  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 11:05:05 PM(UTC)
hemmyd

I disconnected the EOC board and reconnected it, wiring was right. I don't think the schematic you sent was for this model. I have one from the gal I ordered the EOC board from. My first attempt was the broil element which gets red hot and after oven coming to full temperature, I ran for another 5 or so minutes and turned it off, which the oven completely shut down like it should. I removed the tray covering the lower element and noticed a very small worn spot on the element where it had made contact with the protective tray, possibly shorting out. I left the tray out and turned oven to bake @ 400. Ran for 10 minutes after coming to full temperature and then shut off the oven. The oven shut down like it is suppose to but after five or ten minutes the fan turned back on and the oven stayed hot. Now, if I turn the breaker off and back on, the fan turns back on and the oven stays warm. Now I have to shut the breaker off every time when oven isn't in use. The lower element never gets red like the broil element, I don't know if it is suppose to. I can't tell you which element is staying on. By hovering my hand over, I would say the lower element???
denman  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 7:26:43 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"]I should mention the oven doesn't start heating until the bake degrees has been turned on which if the element was shorting wouldn't it always be heating?[/COLOR]
No, depends how/where it shorted out.

[COLOR="Blue"]This problem occurs especially at higher temperatures like above 375.[/COLOR]
I cannot say why this is.

[COLOR="Blue"]I disconnected the EOC board and reconnected it, wiring was right. I don't think the schematic you sent was for this model. I have one from the gal I ordered the EOC board from.[/COLOR]
The wiring diagram I include is the one that comes up for this model at the Frigidaire site but I have no way of confirming that it is the correct one.

[COLOR="Blue"]My first attempt was the broil element which gets red hot and after oven coming to full temperature, I ran for another 5 or so minutes and turned it off, which the oven completely shut down like it should.[/COLOR]
OK so broil is good.
[COLOR="Blue"]
By hovering my hand over, I would say the lower element???[/COLOR]
This is getting even more confusing.
I would replace the lower element.
I am grasping at straws here but it is highly unlikely that two control board would give exactly the same symptoms. So that leaves the oven element is doing something very weird.

Does the wiring diagram you have include a DLB (double line break) relay either on of off the control board. This relay should connect L2 voltage to the elements when the oven is turned on.
Also if the element control relays (L1) on your unit are wired the same as on the wiring diagram I supplied, you can see that only one of the element can be on at any one time and they should all be off when the oven is turned off.
Now here is why this is very confusing if the DLB and the control relays are open then the elements do not get L1 or L2 voltage so even if they are shorted to the frame they should not heat up.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply