Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
donmorgen  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 4, 2009 6:50:00 PM(UTC)
donmorgen

Groups: Registered

Gas (Propane) oven just stopped working- the Broiler still works, as do the range burners.

The unit is exactly 10 years old. and until today gave me no problems.

In general- Any opinions on whether or not it's worthwhile on even getting an estimate- or should I spend the service call fee to get an estimate?

Thanks
don
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Frank / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2009 7:01:53 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Originally Posted by: donmorgen Go to Quoted Post
Gas (Propane) oven just stopped working- the Broiler still works, as do the range burners.

The unit is exactly 10 years old. and until today gave me no problems.

In general- Any opinions on whether or not it's worthwhile on even getting an estimate- or should I spend the service call fee to get an estimate?

Thanks
don

Do you know whether the ignitor is glowing or not? If not you need to see if it's visually broke, or if you're getting voltage to it. Below is a picture of it.

Part number: AP2014008
donmorgen  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2009 7:18:38 AM(UTC)
donmorgen

It's not glowing. Can I just disconnect and put an electic testor on it to see if voltage is going to it? I smell no gas- I guess that's a safety issue?

thanks don
donmorgen  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2009 7:56:26 AM(UTC)
donmorgen

Yes it's getting power- does that mean I just have to buy that part and install it? It looks simple to do- am I missing something, is it more difficult than it appears?

thanks again

don
Frank / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2009 8:14:59 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Yes it's getting power- does that mean I just have to buy that part and install it? It looks simple to do- am I missing something, is it more difficult than it appears?

thanks again

don

If you have voltage to it and it isn't glowing, it is bad. You will need to replace it.

You wouldn't smell any gas. The gas valve won't open unless the ignitor is functioning properly.
donmorgen  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2009 8:29:02 AM(UTC)
donmorgen

If I assume that all I have to do is buy and install this burner part- and I also see that the burner for the broiler is the same part- and I don't use the broiler, then can I switch the broiler ignitor to the bake burner and use the oven now to bake while I wait for the new part to come in?

thanks

don
Frank / APP Team  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2009 8:54:50 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

If I assume that all I have to do is buy and install this burner part- and I also see that the burner for the broiler is the same part- and I don't use the broiler, then can I switch the broiler ignitor to the bake burner and use the oven now to bake while I wait for the new part to come in?

thanks

don

That should work for you, plus it will verify that is the problem.
donmorgen  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2009 10:45:41 AM(UTC)
donmorgen

Frank:

I did the switch, and it works. The only possible issue is that the wires from the Broiler ignitor are shorter that the ones from the Bake ignitor. I spliced the longer ones onto the shorter with electrical tape. The spliced /taped parts are not in the oven, but they are close. Is there a better, heat resistant tape I should have used? I will not use the oven until I get some clarification on this.

Thanks

don
Frank / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2009 11:24:11 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Frank:

I did the switch, and it works. The only possible issue is that the wires from the Broiler ignitor are shorter that the ones from the Bake ignitor. I spliced the longer ones onto the shorter with electrical tape. The spliced /taped parts are not in the oven, but they are close. Is there a better, heat resistant tape I should have used? I will not use the oven until I get some clarification on this.

Thanks

don

You need to get a hold of a couple of ceramic wire nuts. They are meant to stand up to the heat. I wouldn't trust the electrical tape, unless you were able to get the wires pushed way back in, on the other side of the insulation.

Glad you got it going.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply