Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dlkreamer  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 12:26:12 PM(UTC)
dlkreamer

Groups: Registered

Help!

I bought a used oven on Craig's List that was supposed to be fully functional. It was already converted from natural gas to propane. When I hooked it up I could get the top burners to light, but not the oven. After doing some research I replaced the igniter with no luck (part # WB2X9154). I was told to check the amperage draw, but did not own a tester. I decided because of this units age to replace the safety valve (part # WB19K14). That also did not help, so at this point I decided to buy a clamp amp meter. I checked the amperage on the igniter I just installed and found it to be defective ( only 2.4 amps). I also checked the broiler igniter and found it bad as well, but did not care because I only need the oven to work. After getting an oven igniter that works ( 2.7 amps) I still get no gas flow to the oven burner. I removed the line that runs from the safety valve to the burner and checked for blockage - line and nozzle are clear.

What could be causing the igniter to glow, pull the proper amperage, and still not open the safety valve for gas flow to the burner????
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:34:37 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

Check if the gas is getting to the safety valve.

Simon.
dlkreamer  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:42:07 PM(UTC)
dlkreamer

Yes, gas is getting to the safety valve, but it seems to be a very low pressure. I can stop the gas flow from the regulator to the valve by pressing my thumb against the disconnected feed tube. Does this sound normal?
Simon / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 2:59:16 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

I'm looking at the pressure regulator picture and looks like there is a reset lever on the side. Try that and I bet it'll work.

Simon.
dlkreamer  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:17:12 PM(UTC)
dlkreamer

Originally Posted by: Simon / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Hi.

I'm looking at the pressure regulator picture and looks like there is a reset lever on the side. Try that and I bet it'll work.

Simon.

Simon,

I checked the valve and it is open. Today I did some more diagnosing and found something very interesting. I loosened the line between the regulator & the safety valve and allowed all pressure to escape and then re-tightened the line. Then I turned on the oven, waited for the igniter to glow red, turned on the gas and the oven lit. It burned a nice blue flame until a few moments after the preheat light illuminated. At this point the flame went out and would not reignite.

I turned off the oven, again relieved pressure between the regulator & safety valve, turned the oven back on & waited for the igniter to glow. At this point I turned the gas back on, and again it lit & burned until shortly after the preheat light illuminated. Again it would not relight until after I relieved the gas pressure. I was curious so I tried BROIL by starting the same way as bake. It worked fine until I turned it off, but would not relight on either bake or broil until I again relieved gas pressure to the safety valve. Any thoughts - this is a new regulator & a new safety valve?

My brain is drained!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply