Discuss

Oven bake element works sometimes

in

Oven Repair (including Ranges and Cooktops)

. "

This GE oven is about 15 years old. Never had a problem and nothing has changed. Last week the bake

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Oven Repair (including Ranges and Cooktops) » Oven bake element works sometimes

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 08:05 AM

tallshouse is on a distinguished road
Default Oven bake element works sometimes
Brand: GE   Age: More than 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

This GE oven is about 15 years old. Never had a problem and nothing has changed. Last week the bake element wouldn't heat. If I turn it off, jiggle it, and turn it back on, it heats up, after a few tries. I have pulled the element out and the connections appear to be tight. I would think that I need a new element, except for the jiggling thing. Is it possible to have an "almost" dead element that can be giving another gasp by jiggling? Or should I be looking for a loose connection somewhere? Just don't want to replace the element and still have the problem. Any thoughts are appreciated.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 03-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Expert

Simon / APP Team will become famous soon enough

Hi.

Using the multimeter check for the 240VAC across the bake element contacts with the oven turned to BAKE.
If the correct voltage is present - replace the element.
If not - provide the model number of the oven for the research.

Post the results.

Simon.

PS. Be careful, the 240VAC could be very dangerous.
Find Appliance Parts at AppliancePartsPros.com - Largest inventory in the U.S. with 91% of all in-stock orders delivered within 2 business days. Thousands of photos and diagrams make it very easy to find the right part. Enter your appliance model here.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:06 PM

I took the element to a parts shop & they suggested replacement so i did. Worked great. Put the oven back together, tried it again and nothing. Checked connections all seem tight. Dont have a multimeter. Now sometimes it gets warm but not warm enough,sometimes nothing, once in a while glows red. Switch going bad? Thermostaat issue? Any ideas are appreciated.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Expert

Hi.

To be a true DIY you should have a basic tools, including the multimeter.That will save you time and money.

To give you any future advise I'd love to have the complete model number of the unit.

Thank you.

Simon.
Find Appliance Parts at AppliancePartsPros.com - Largest inventory in the U.S. with 91% of all in-stock orders delivered within 2 business days. Thousands of photos and diagrams make it very easy to find the right part. Enter your appliance model here.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:04 PM

I do a lot of DIY but not a lot of electrical troubleshooting, so never convinced myself to get the multimeter. Its a GE model JBP30BA2AD. Thanks
Old 03-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Expert

Hi.

If the wire harness at the back of the oven is OK - replace the oven control board

Part number: AP2632445

Part number: AP2632445

Post the results.

Simon.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:24 AM

Thanks so much for the help. Had a friend with a meter come have a look and sure enough, nothing come out of the control board to the bake element so looks like that is the problem!
Old 03-12-2013, 02:10 PM
Expert

You are welcome.

Simon.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.